Author Topic: Car seat question  (Read 1862 times)

Offline Sleepybaby

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Car seat question
« on: August 09, 2011, 00:54:09 am »
Not sure if this is the right place to post but figured its an "activity" :-)

Ok so, I have a 3 door hatchback with no airbags.  I have my son in the front with me when we go out in my car.  When I went to get my new carseat fitted, still rear facing, I was advised NOT to put baby in the front.  It's not illegal, just safer in the back, middle if possible.

The problem I have with this is:

* if there was an accident, it will be very hard to get my baby out of the car.  My car is so small.  Wont he be trapped in the back?  I worry that I wont be able to get to him.

* it's a pain sliding him in and out of his seat through passenger side or getting in driver's side putting him on my lap and then getting out.  I think this will make me less likely to go out.  Even a quick drive to the supermarket will be a mission.  Plus I'm a bit of a hermit at the best of times so dont want to deprive baby of social interaction. :P

A car accident is never a good thing and you can never predict how, if there was an accident, it will happen.  So does it really matter where he sits?
Be patient and stay in control

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: Car seat question
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 08:47:21 am »
I think it depends on your level of comfort. I have never put either of my kids in the front - I have front airbags anyway so can't but even if it was possible I just wouldn't. I get what you are saying about getting them out of the back in an accident but ultimately the back is the safest place for them. It is a pain getting them in and out of carseats, but a few mins extra hassle is worth it for their safety in my opinion.

Why don't you do a bit of research, there are plenty of videos and information about what happens in accidents on the internet which should help you make an informed choice.

Laura

Offline Mashi

• Showing Appreciation 408
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 13:52:43 pm »
Often local police stations will help with car seat fittings, and they may have advice for you as well - if you explain concerns about an accident and what not, they might be able to give you some guidance on that. 

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 22:06:08 pm »
Personally, my baby's safety is far more important than my personal comfort. 

If you are in an accident that damages the car to the point that you may not be able to get baby out of the back seat - chances are, you won't be the one doing it - the paramedics will. 

I agree that an accident is just that - they happen and there isn't much we can do to prevent them.  There are plenty of things we can do to protect babies/kids in the instance that they do happen though.

Offline Sleepybaby

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2011, 21:36:55 pm »
Thanks for all your replies.

My own personal comfort is not more important than my baby's safety.  I would not have posted here if it was.

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2011, 22:18:08 pm »
Glad to hear it, your post really put an emphasis on how you found it to be an issue for you to put him in the safest place, that is why we assumed that you were putting your level of convenience first.

Offline Sleepybaby

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2011, 03:29:26 am »
You assumed yes, but no not at all.  I'm still undecided on the issue so we're getting a new car.

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2011, 03:53:49 am »
LOL!  In the long run, you will be glad to have four doors with kids ;)  Good luck in the car shopping!

Offline Sleepybaby

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2011, 03:18:13 am »
Thanks! :-)