Author Topic: What's after whole milk?  (Read 1110 times)

Offline twogirlsmommy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 30
  • aka Brennasmommy
« on: August 09, 2011, 18:25:28 pm »
Just been to the ped for dd's 2 yr visit.  He said we could stop with the whole milk and switch to whatever we are drinking.  We drink fat free.  Do we give that to her or do we go up to 1%-2%? What's the best way to do this?  Right now she gets 3 cups a day and maybe drinks 2 of them completely.  He says 1 cup is plenty for her a day as long as she is getting yogurt and cheese and things.  I might realistically drop down to 2 cups a day b/c she is a horribly picky eater but I am unsure. Help?

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: What's after whole milk?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 18:35:49 pm »
The UK guides are that they can move to semi-skimmed (which is somewhere around 2% I think!) when they are 2 but not to have the lowest fat skimmed milk until they are 5.

I kept DS on full fat until recently (he's 4.5) when DD turned 2, he is on the small side and needed the extra fat and calories - she doesn't have that problem ;)

If she is a picky eater and you are dropping her milk a bit then I would think the 2% would be better than the fat free stuff.

Laura

Offline Lemonthyme

• Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
Re: What's after whole milk?
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011, 18:51:21 pm »
I was about to post exactly the same as above.  Yep, the UK advice is semi skimmed (which I think is 2%) from the age of 2 if their weight gain is ok, but there's no reason to change if you don't want to?
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline twogirlsmommy

• Showing Appreciation 30
  • aka Brennasmommy
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2011, 19:58:13 pm »
She is 97% for everything so we have no problem with weight gain or growth lol.  We have decided to go with 1% so we can all drink it.