Author Topic: Change in symptoms?  (Read 1706 times)

Offline DSAN

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Change in symptoms?
« on: August 10, 2011, 02:47:19 am »
Hey Everyone... so my DS is 6.5 months, and through the process of an elimination diet (done starting when he was about 7 weeks old) we found he is sensitive to dairy, corn, shellfish, and coffee ( :'( ) (and I'm allergic to gluten  ::)).

Any way, a week and a half ago DH, DS, and I were out of town and ate at the buffet for breakfast... and without thinking or realizing (we eat at home most of the time) that there might be something 'bad' in the eggs, sausage, etc etc. Any way. He seemed OK, had one questionable poop but thats about it of his 'usual' symptoms. I thought, great! So I tried coffee (what I miss the most!)... he was fine... or so it seemed... but now he's waking every 1-3 hours at night! Or more!

And he's STOPPED pooping... normally he goes 1-2 times daily but just recently went 4! Is it possible his 'symptoms' have changed? Am I right to suspect the NW's might be caused by food intolerances? DH is away and I'm going bonkers as I have no help.

I stopped the coffee two days ago (ohh how I miss it) but was accidentaly given a chai latte with milk instead of soy last thursday... if it is due to food how long would it be till I see an improvement?
Heather, Mommy to Dylan

Offline EloysH

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 102
  • Eloise & 2 boys, from reflux to gut healing :)
Re: Change in symptoms?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 12:36:18 pm »
Definantly the symptoms change over time.  Its pretty hard to figure out at the best of times.  Go with your gut. It is probably your best tool right now.

DS2 used to get mucus poops but that all stopped at about 10-11 months  old and was replaced by long night wakings.   I didn't fuguer this out till he about 14 months though and teared my hair out with sleep training, blaming teething, sickness etc.  It wasn't until that i took some irritants out of his diet that he sttn like an angel and continues to sleep better than ever before  The theory given to me by my naturopath is that whilst they are having mucus nappiestheir guts are inflamed and damaged.  As they get older and less sensitive, the food intolerance willa ffect their nervous ssytem and throw their sleep out but it will take more / a higher dose of the food to damage the gut.

Constipation and also loose stools are both symptoms of food intolerance.

As for the coffee, the NW'ing could be related to the stimulant effect, as well as food intolerance.

For K, a food reaction would probably last about 24-48 hours, given the offending food was only consumed in one sitting.

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 21:18:44 pm »
Hi, have you tried decaf coffee? I haven't heard of a bubs being intolerant to coffee tbh, it could just be the caffeine?

Offline DSAN

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 01:47:10 am »
Go with your gut.

hehe. that made me giggle. But yes, you are right. I do need to trust myself... I'm being really careful with my diet and I'll give it a few weeks before I rule anything out. Last night was just horrendous... he was beside himself with every waking. So I'm wondering if we're dealing with a bit of a reflux flare too, maybe because of teething? Maybe we need to go up in his meds? I don't know. More to figure out!

Hoping for a better night tonight... he's been down 1hr and only up once (yes thats an improvement over last night... yikes!) and DH's away so it's alll me.

Constipation and also loose stools are both symptoms of food intolerance.

When he does poop (well, the one time), it's a normal consistency, not constipated... it's just slowed right down! Which I know can be "normal" it's just not normal for him. Maybe I should give solids a rest for a few days and just go back to BF? We haven't introduced all that many different things but perhaps something is bothering him.

I haven't heard of a bubs being intolerant to coffee tbh, it could just be the caffeine?

I know! I was so shocked but he definitely got mucousy poops from it. And he seems OK with black tea so I don't think it's the caffeine. But maybe being by myself these days I'm tending to drink more and the caffeine is affecting him. Maybe I'll try going a few days without... TBH that kind of frightens me... lol.
Heather, Mommy to Dylan

Offline EloysH

• Showing Appreciation 102
  • Eloise & 2 boys, from reflux to gut healing :)
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2011, 02:27:54 am »
Well that makes it so much harder whilst you are on your own  :o

For the coffee, it could be salicylates, but then you should see mucus poops as a reaction to aot of foods if it were sals.

Since it seems there are a few possible reactions going on its probably going to be hard to figure out what is the reason for the changes.

If the poops are slowed down that is completely normal somethings take longer to digest and are harder on the gut, doesn't mean it's a food intolerance reaction.  It could just be the a balance of bulking foods -v- fibre foods.  Sometimes one needs to play around with the diet a bit to get some regularity.  I give Kai lentils if I think that he needs to poop a bit more  ;)