Author Topic: How frequently do you bathe/shower your kids? (and use products?)  (Read 7629 times)

Offline Roseii

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 198
When they were titches mine would have a bath every night but now they're bigger it's more like 2-3 times a week, is that really gross?!
They get topped and tailed every day and hands washed frequently, but hair washing and full body wash only 2-3 times a week...
The shampoo and wash I buy is quite expensive so I try and use it sparingly and also I mostly do evenings on my own, and the last time I bathed them both on my own dd1 slipped and bit through her Tongue (cue blood all over the bath :'()
So what do you do?

X
Blessed mum to two home-birthed darling water babies

hey you with the pretty face, welcome to the human race

Offline skatty

• Showing Appreciation 352
  • My spirited girl
Re: How frequently do you bathe/shower your kids? (and use products?)
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 08:18:01 am »
Leorah usually comes home from preschool flithy so has to at least get hosed down but in the winter when she wears a snowsuit over her clothes she bathes less frequently, can definitely go a good few days  ;)
Katt

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 08:28:41 am »
I bath almost everyday. I only skip if they are too tired and grumpy - mainly because they play nicely in the bath so it is just something to do yk?!

No products at all most of the time. Just water. Organic bubble bath from time to time but I often run out and take 6 weeks to buy more.

I wash hair every 10 days or so for J - slightly more often for M as she gets mucky. Basically I was it for being dirty rather than just because I should.

I think I might be gross as well  :-X, but hair washing is hard work round here!!

Offline *Amy*

• Showing Appreciation 19
  • Originally from Ireland - Living in Dubai
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 08:33:32 am »
Bath every night same reasons as Liz! I use a eucalyptus bubble bath if they have a cold or seba med. Hair washing again once a week or depending on how much food is in it or how sweaty they are/were. Actually during the school year I wash ds's hair the night before school!

Offline <Catherine>

• Showing Appreciation 149
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2011, 08:38:42 am »
DS has a bath every other night generally (hair washed each time, but only because it's no fuss with him). He often comes home filthy from childcare so will be bathed then too if needed, and if he's clean when he's 'due' a bath and is at childcare the next day then I will often leave it til the following day as I know he is likely to need one then.

Bit like Liz really, he doesn't usually *need* to be bathed so often but he enjoys it. I use a baby bath in the water and a baby wash.
Catherine x

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2011, 08:58:08 am »
Probably 3-4 times a week here Charli.   Although with all this rubbish weather I've been bathing them after breakfast some days as something to do!  They love it  and it takes ages!  We did have to get a non slip mat for M and have to constantly tell her to stay on it! 

M is really mucky by the end of the day and her hair ends up really sweaty so she can't really go more than 3 days without her hair needing washed. 

Offline KatieR

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2011, 09:33:58 am »
Every night here they're all smoothered in suncream and get filthy. Ds1 gets really sweaty hair so his is washed every time the others when they need it. We use halos and horns products.ds1 has showers ds2 mostly had a bathbut will have a shower if its getting late. ddis in cloth nappies so gets a bath everynight even in winter

2 angels 10 Nov 07 at 12 weeks and 14 Aug 11 at 7 weeks.

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2011, 09:51:24 am »
Mine are in the bath together twice a day!

They have a pre-bed bath every night and DS has his hair washed at night. We always use an emolient in the water (aveeno) and then DD has her eczema routine done. They have a very quick bath in the morning - literally in and out just becuase I find it easier to deal with our morning routine this way. DD gets her hair washed in the morning (every other day) because she looks like she has been dragged through a hedge backwards and has to have *something* done to it. The alternate days is just a comb through with water.

We started the twice a day when DS was small and his eczema was bad, we found that the creams were absorbed better when his skin was damp and it just became what we do in the mornings. I find it easier to stick them in the bath than to top and tail them, DD is still in nappies so needs a decent wash in the mornings and DS wets the bed now and again so needs a decent wash on those days too.

It sounds a lot, but they are water babies who love their bath, have no objection to hair washing (I can just pour water over their heads) and because we have been doing it for so long it's second nature now. The do have a shower sometimes in the morning but I find showers harder work than a quick bath!

We may need a re-think when they get older and don't want to share a bath anymore!

Laura

Offline Tweakster

• Tweakster extraordinaire
  • Showing Appreciation 444
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2011, 09:55:10 am »
2x per week, unless he's particularly dirty.  Privates get wiped down more often; hands, nails and face every day at bedtime.  It's just a lot of work with a Spirited kid and our time is so limited on weekdays as it is.
The tweaking never stops!

Offline rach321

• Showing Appreciation 29
  • My monkey boys.
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2011, 10:31:34 am »
Both of mine get thrown in the bath most nights, but the older one is starting to complain that his younger brother splashes too much ! Bathtime is fun so its no bother but hair washing only gets done on the bigger monkey once a week because its an ordeal - younger one doesn't care!

Offline ~Emma~

• Showing Appreciation 221
  • And then there were 2.....
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2011, 10:38:05 am »
Every 2nd day and sometimes we skip a day if they are really tired or whatever so does sometimes stretch to 3 days. They share a bath that contains DD special bath stufff in it for her skin and they get a hair wash at each bath but only because its no trouble. We use Tesco's baby shampoo.

Each time I give them a bath it leaves a stinking ring around the edge of the bath so perhaps should be every day but its a hassle! Hands and face get washed in the morning, before lunch and before bed if no bath.

I can remember when i was a kid only having a bath on a Sunday night! Old school.  :)

Offline <Catherine>

• Showing Appreciation 149
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2011, 10:43:47 am »
I can remember when i was a kid only having a bath on a Sunday night!
I can remember sitting in a metal trough in front of the Aga in my Nan's farmhouse  :D .....Not because I'm *that* old, you understand  :P , but because the house was!  ;D This was after spending day-in day-out making mud pies and picking potatoes, so a bath was much needed! ....ah, the good old days!  :D
Catherine x

Offline babybarr

• Showing Appreciation 224
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2011, 10:47:18 am »
2-3 times a week a shower (we have no bath - but he uses it like a bath ;) ) and then just a wash every day.  Usually he's not too grubby cos we can't do grubby things.  It used to be more frequent but TBH like Wendy has said weekdays are pushed enough already.  If it's hot and he's been sweaty or he's been at preschool I'll try and make more of an effort!  The problem is getting him out as he *loves* it so it always takes forever ::)
LAURA xx

Offline *Becky*

• Showing Appreciation 255
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2011, 11:10:30 am »
In the summer h has a bath every day as he is just SO sandy/muddy etc but in the winter I do every other day. I do M every day atm to get her into a bedtime routine and help her differentiate between day/night.

H has sensitive skin so just has water, no products and I wash his hair every 7-10 days with just a baby shampoo.

With M I use weleda mosituriser after her bath as she had quite dry skin recently and it really helped.

Henry will not let M in his bath so I bath her first and then he goes in after with the same water but when she is a bit older I want to do them together x

Henry James and Martha Rose - my spirited pair!

Offline Mashi

• Showing Appreciation 408
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2011, 11:40:37 am »
About the same as you Charli! 2-3 times a week. He had a bath every single night for about the first 24 months of his life and I got sick to death of it!  We started doing it every other night and his skin was so much nicer - despite the fact that we use SLS-free products on him and sometimes none at all, even just the water-only bath was drying his skin out (ironic isn't it that water dries your skin out ::) !)  And so the past 6 months or so it is every 3 nights or so, unless there is a reason to do it sooner. 

He does get a good wash every morning and evening though (top and tail as you say!)