Author Topic: Questions on intollerances/allergies in response to DS hives  (Read 5631 times)

Offline ZacsMumme

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
Re: Questions on intollerances/allergies in response to DS hives
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2011, 19:39:59 pm »
I only started yesterday..and I am recording what he is eating and making notes of when his rash flares, when he is unsettled, has BM and NW.

The thing is...last night he slept through...he hasn't done that in AGES. I am not sure if it was a 1 off or not.
I also checked out side effects of the antihistamine he is on and they include dryness of mouth (which would explain the NW wanting milk and increased water he is drinking) plus a ton of potential stomach related issues ::) I wonder if this is making everything worse. So today I am stopping the antihistamine to see if this makes a diff. It isn't preventing the rash anyway!

Here is what he had
3 X BF and 1 X formula. I reintroduced it at his 3pm feed. Water throughout the day
Porridge with pears (water and rolled oats + ripe pear steamed and soft) he has started spitting out lumps though :-\
Marmite and grated cheese sandwich (white bread)
Apple slices (no skin and he really chomped it then spat ::) )
Mini Apple and muesli muffin
Pumpkin, Sweet Potato and beef casserole (incl small volume of leek, carrot and potato mixed into casserole)

He has started spitting lunps since he has been off, and crying during eating, but wanting more food IYKWIM???
I noticed today he is spilling and gargling a bit more but it is not hurting him, this I suspect is his reflux playing up.

Looking at what he DIDNT eat yesterday and often does are things like.
Milk (in porridge or cooking)
Cream cheese/sour cream/yogurt
Fruit other than pear and apple
Lamb/Chicken/salmon
Other veges ie corn. The amount of carrot and leek he had yesterday would have been tiny ie mixed into casserole of 40 cubes and had 1.

For my diet, I had less sugar and snacks than usual and lots of water/fluids. (still have my coffees - but will stop if I need to!)
The reason I gave him a small amount of grated cheese was because this is one food that I have already tried removing and made no diff, plus he has had it for a long time so I wanted to see how he went, and that arvo he was fine. It was the AM he was unsettled and his rash was flaring more.
No doubt this is a muddled mess sorry!!!! I am finding this all quite overwhelming and I feel sooooo confused, ie yes I think its food/ no I am being silly/ maybe its something else...   :( :( :(

« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 19:42:32 pm by ZacsMumme »
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2011, 19:43:16 pm »
And I am recording what I am eating too, really I am following what he eats, but a bit diff...but same with no other dairy and no other fruits etc
***Sara***

Offline EloysH

• Showing Appreciation 102
  • Eloise & 2 boys, from reflux to gut healing :)
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2011, 21:25:47 pm »
So you are putting the both of you on dairy free then?

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2011, 21:34:02 pm »
I hadn't started an elimination diet as such yet, I just started to record everything in a diary to see if I notice a pattern for the first few days and only fed/ate foods Z was on before the issues started.

This was what the pead suggested when I booked in as a start...The only dairy Z has had is cheese and I have is milk in my coffee. Do you think I should just remove this too - it wouldn't take much...and see if this helps. BUT does that mean I also need to give him alt formula?

It is interesting as his rash flared mostly in the AM after the rolled oats/water and pear....it was good in the arvo with the exception of the bath. I am unsure though how long it takes to have a reaction after eating something though :-\
***Sara***

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2011, 21:34:39 pm »
Hi, If I were you I would be strict on no dairy - otherwise you will never really be sure. Stick to it for 2 weeks and if the rash/nights/irritability aren't improving then I might start to question it and move on and try something new. Maybe the muffin had some dairy in it?

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2011, 21:37:02 pm »
The only dairy yesterday was cheese in the sandwich (easy to remove)
This is other than the formula which I am not sure if it is considered dairy? Formula is in the muffin. Actually there may be butter in the muffin, I will check!

Okay I will do that then thanks!!!
***Sara***

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2011, 21:39:30 pm »
Sorry, posted at the same time.  ;) I guess it is best to get an idea of what be casusing it before taking foods out. If you do go dairy free then I would go totally dairy free otherwise youwill never really sure sure. It just allows more doubts to creep in (BTDT!).

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2011, 22:22:56 pm »
Okay cool, this is kind of what I was doing. I am hoping to see a pattern, and I have just cut all foods introduced after 7 months as well as the problems began around 8 months. I am also eating the same as him ie not eating foods I know were introduced to him after this time.

If you do go dairy free then I would go totally dairy free otherwise youwill never really sure sure. It just allows more doubts to creep in (BTDT!).
Sure, thanks!

And thanks all of you for your help and support. I really feel like I have no idea what is going on now, but my heart tells me there is something in his diet that is causing problems :-\  xx
***Sara***

Offline EloysH

« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2011, 00:41:20 am »
good luck, its a long process... just to add what BB said:  The best way is full elimination of whole groups for 2-3 weeks, and more than one group at a time if you can.   Food diaries are handy but can be misleading as food intolerances cause build up effects so you might notice a reaciont after eating one food but really it was a build up effect of a group like too much gluten, dairy salicylates etc.

Formula is dairy for sure  :P

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2011, 05:01:43 am »
ood diaries are handy but can be misleading as food intolerances cause build up effects so you might notice a reaciont after eating one food but really it was a build up effect of a group like too much gluten, dairy salicylates etc.
Ahhh okay so do I have this right in my head...

If an allergic reaction is the problem, the reaction will occur after eating etc.
If an intolerance is the problem, the reaction can come and go due to the build up of the food group in the body?

***Sara***

Offline EloysH

« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2011, 02:29:37 am »
Yep that's pretty much it. 

Are you going to go for allergy tests?  Would be nice to officially rule them out. We are going for tests in a few weeks just to strike it off the lists as Kai's reflux is still pretty bad off the meds...  it is possible there may be some environmental allergies happening.  But not likely.

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2011, 03:22:34 am »
Yes I think the Pead will refer us for allergy tests, well I am going to ask her too anyway! I have noticed Zacs reflux is flaring a bit at the moment too but I suspect it is all related as it is happening when the rash comes as well ::)

I am going to follow this food diary for a week and if nothing sticks out 'allergy' wise then I am going to start an elimination diet as we have all discussed before. I just need to get my head around menu plans for Z and I me thinks so I don't stuff up! :P

Kai's reflux is still pretty bad off the meds...
Do you think you need to go back on them? Or no going back? I am terrified of weaning Zac from his losec.
***Sara***

Offline EloysH

« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2011, 03:51:29 am »
Oh yes he has been back on the meds since the failed wean - he was only fuilly off for 5 days,  and on lower doses for a few weeks.  It took him 3 weeks to come good though and he was in so much pain for those three weeks.....   He is 17 months  old now  ::)

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2011, 20:26:23 pm »
I have been keeping a food diary for Z for the last week or two and his rash has now disappeared...Can't tell if the Dr was right after all and it has just 'cleared up on its own' following the virus or if it is because I have been feeding him 'safe foods' However, there is 1 food I havent given him at all which I wonder could be an intolerance...eggs.....could this be possible? Can he have an egg allergy or intolerance but not be intolerant to other dairy such as cheese and yogurt?

***Sara***

Offline Hedgehog17

• Showing Appreciation 71
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2011, 21:03:00 pm »
Can he have an egg allergy or intolerance but not be intolerant to other dairy such as cheese and yogurt?

Yes he can. Cow's milk protein and products containing it are different to egg proteins. You also can have an allergy to the white and not the yolk, or the other way around, so it's best to test these separately.