Author Topic: When did you move to a group 2 carseat?  (Read 4760 times)

Offline babybarr

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 224
When did you move to a group 2 carseat?
« on: August 13, 2011, 21:00:19 pm »
My bro has recently moved my niece (month older than DS) to a "normal" booster seat - no back and no 5 point harness.  When researching I found that ideally a booster seat shouldn't be used until 4yrs upwards and you should use the 5 point harness as long as poss. 

DS needs a new seat as he is outgrowing his group 1 and I don't want to pay out for an expensive one if a booster seat is "ok" iyswim?  Plus we need two one for my car and one for DH's ::)
LAURA xx

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
Re: When did you move to a group 2 carseat?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2011, 21:12:31 pm »
We'll move from our group 1 when M is 4 if she fits in it that long!  But I am not moving to a booster with no back.   I will get a highback booster that still has a harness or a high back booster without but not just a booster cushion.  I know you 'can' have a booster cushion only but I don't think a seat that is suitable for a 9YO is suitable for a 4 YO.  I think at 4 YO having a high back booster will ensure much more safety.  The reason they don't recommend going straight to a booster cushion with an adult belt is in an accident a smaller child will not be as secure as an older child. 

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2011, 21:14:02 pm »
We have just put DS into a stage 2/3 seat this week and he's 4yrs 8 months! We got ours at Halfords, they have some good deals and an extra 10% off if you buy 2 on line.

I had a chat with the guy that fitted it for me and his advice was to go by weight rather than age. DS has only recently got to 15kg which is the lowest weight for the stage 2 seats, DD will probably hit 15 kg before she turns 4 so will be in one earlier than DS is. They need to be 15kg for their weight to work with the seat belt, but if they are too heavy for the car seat I was told the seat will just break apart in an accident. The seat he is just out of could have gone up to 18kg, but it sounds like he is better out of it before he hits that weight.

I had a good look around and there doesn't seem to be any stage 2 seats with harnesses in the UK, but I wouldn't use a seat without a back as they just aren't tall enough for the diagonal part of the seat belt to be in the correct place. The seats with backs have impact protection for their backs and heads and you can pull the back up higher as they grow, there is a guide for the seat belt which keeps it in the right position across their chests. If he is not at 15kg yet he is better off in his stage 1 seat with the harness until he rechers that weight limit.

Laura

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2011, 21:17:35 pm »
Mothercare have a load of 1-2-3 seats that do upto age 11 with a harness which can then be removed to accommodate the adult seat belt.  There are quite a few on sale at the minute too. 

Offline Lolly

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2011, 21:26:20 pm »
Have a good look at the mulitple stage seat though as the ones I looked at you have to take the harness off once they get to the 15kg/ stage 2 seat level. They look like the harness lasts for all the stages but they don't, it's really deceptive. I think this is part of the reason that even the best makes come off badly in Which reviews - they are trying to do too much and don't do anything as well as single stage seats.

Laura

Offline Lolly

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2011, 21:32:37 pm »
This is one example from Mothercare

http://www.mothercare.com/Britax-Evolva-1-2-3-Car-Seat/dp/B004GIDOAU?ie=UTF8&ref=sr_1_4&nodeId=44453031&sr=1-4&qid=1313270916&pf_rd_r=0PKH4HBD38NHR289SBM4&pf_rd_m=A2LBKNDJ2KZUGQ&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_i=44453031&pf_rd_p=231490867&pf_rd_s=related-tab-3-5

If you scroll down you can see in the description that the harness is used for up to 18kg, but then says about the harness being removed and the adult seat belt being used for 15kg - 36kg. They don't all have a full spec listed which is why they look like the harness is for all weights I think.

Laura

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2011, 21:36:54 pm »
AH thanks Laura!!  I totally didn't pick up on that.  So in terms of the next seat its better to go for a stage 2 seat?  So a highback booster that will be used with the adult belt?

Offline Lolly

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2011, 21:49:58 pm »
That seems to be the way to go - definitly a high back booster rather than the cushion seats. The stage 2/3 seats seem ok - just not the 1/2/3 seats. The Britax 2/3 seats come up well on Which (we got the Adventure one for Grandpa's car which doesn't come off so well but he will only very occasionally be in it - I thought I'd checked that one ::)) and the Maxi Cosi Rodi ones do too.

I got quite excited about seeing all these seats with harnesses - then realised it's not the case, I'm sure in the US they have harnessed seats for higher weights than here :-\

Laura

Offline babybarr

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2011, 07:22:22 am »
Thanks girls, I did realise that the harnesses didn't go all the way up but DS is heavy and tall *but* has low muscle tone so I was hoping that there would be one which had a harness and was bigger iyswim?  Do you think he'd be ok in a 2/3 carseat with a normal adult belt given his weight?  Sounds like I should move him sooner rather than later too!

Edited to add - I've just converted his weight from lbs and he's 15.8kg
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 07:24:26 am by babybarr »
LAURA xx

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2011, 08:00:06 am »
I just weighed M and she 15.9kg but I then checked our stage 1 car seat and it is upto 18kg.  The stage 2/3 do go from 15kg though but I think I am going to keep her in the harnessed stage 1 for another while yet.  So I guess if low muscle tone is an issue O would be fine in the seat he is in for another while yet and at least then you can have the harness.  M seems youung to move although I know she's not!

Offline *Amy*

• Showing Appreciation 19
  • Originally from Ireland - Living in Dubai
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2011, 08:16:06 am »
I moved ds cause we needed his car set for dd. We got him this one...he is also 15kg and long!
http://www.kiddicare.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/productdisplayA_475_10751_-1_14601_96668_10001_
We are very happy with it, seems like it is a good fit and I love the way it is secured with the isofix!
He will be in it till he is a teenager! The back comes off and it becomes a booster seat.

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2011, 13:06:52 pm »
I'm sure in the US they have harnessed seats for higher weights than here

I'm in Canada and our harnessed seats go up to 65lbs (around 30 kg), which I think is the biggest.  I bought one for Masyn that is harnessed to that weight and then turns into a high back booster, then a backless booster.  That way it will last as long as she needs it (here the rec is to be in a booster until 80lbs, so she will be in it forever!)

If I am doing my math right, here the booster seats that work with a car seat belt are meant for over 18 kg (40 lbs), so we are not yet ready for that.  They really are changing things here in regards to carseats, with recs to keep them rear facing for as long as possible (2 years I think or more) and harnessed as long as possible.
Heidi

Offline babybarr

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2011, 20:10:40 pm »
So I guess if low muscle tone is an issue O would be fine in the seat he is in for another while yet and at least then you can have the harness.
The problem is his head is literally just about to poke over the top, the straps are on the highest setting and it's *killing* my back getting him in and out. I feel like he's too big for it now iyswim? There's no way he can get in it himself as the carseat is quite high and he's not the most physical of little boys ::)

Amy - I like the look of that one I just worry about him only being supported by the adult seatbelt :-\

I bought one for Masyn that is harnessed to that weight and then turns into a high back booster, then a backless booster.
So the harnessed stage goes up to 65lbs?  Wow that is good!!
LAURA xx

Offline babybarr

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2011, 20:19:49 pm »
It looks as though Britax actually do one which is designed for children with special needs.... £500 though, maybe not!
LAURA xx

Offline Lolly

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2011, 20:22:12 pm »
 :o :o that's a lot of money!

Laura

Offline babybarr

« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2011, 20:24:21 pm »
I guess given all the info what I need to decide is.... is a group 123 carseat safer for O given I can use the 5 point harness till he's 18kg OR given all the info on multi carseats is a group 23 seat safer with the adult belt?  Views most welcome!
LAURA xx

Offline Lolly

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2011, 20:34:53 pm »
You said he's just over 15kg - how tall is he and how does he behave in his car seat? I think, even given poor muscle tone if he is tall, heavy enough and doesn't try and get out of his harness seat I think I would probably swap soonish to a 2/3 seat. What does his current seat go up to? I know the Britax stage 1 seats go up to 18kg.

Just another thought - my county council have a safety unit that goes around supermarket car parks giving advice and checking seats, you could give yours a ring and see if they have soemone who can give you advice.

Laura
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 20:36:29 pm by Lolly »

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2011, 01:31:14 am »
Hmmm...I've been brainwashed by our regulations so I would go for keeping him harnessed as long as possible, but if you can only get a proper seat for $$$ then I would go for a high back booster.
Heidi

Offline nwmm

• Showing Appreciation 61
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2011, 02:47:13 am »
I review this sort of things with our ped. And those that check our seats for safety.  I go by height and weight not age and what everyone else I know does.  ::)

Offline babybarr

« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2011, 06:21:22 am »
I know the Britax stage 1 seats go up to 18kg.
He's in a britax group 0-1 he outgrew his rear facing one quite quickly but I didn't feel he was strong enough (even though heavy enough) to face forward so got him one which did both.  His goes up to 18kg it's just the other things which are swaying me to get him a bigger one.

I'll see if I can get hold of the council.  

He's well behaved in his carseat so I don't think he'd wriggle around too much, just my personal concerns I guess about not having him in a harness.
LAURA xx