Author Topic: Sigh....is it the soy?  (Read 4010 times)

Offline ~Emma~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 221
  • And then there were 2.....
Sigh....is it the soy?
« on: August 14, 2011, 14:40:24 pm »
 So we had a wee eczema flare before the soy trial. Just a tiny one on her chest. Now we have little patches turning into bigger patches and more little patches showing up. No other symptoms other than that. Poo has been STINKEEEEEE and a little more gas than usual, oh and wee bit of nappy rash too. Other than that happy as a clam.

Its been well over a month, maybe close to 2 since we re-intro'd soy. COuld it be building up in her system? Or would the effect be immediate?

Offline EloysH

• Showing Appreciation 102
  • Eloise & 2 boys, from reflux to gut healing :)
Re: Sigh....is it the soy?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 08:12:04 am »
For sure it could be building up, depending on how much soy she is getting.   When I hear about build up reactions it is usually talking weeks though, not months. Is she drinking soy milk? How often?  Did you start her on lesser soy products or milk straight away?

If you took her off soy, I wonde rif the eczema would clear with a few weeks?

Offline ~Emma~

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 12:57:47 pm »
 She hates soy milk and hasn't been having soy products every day. She has a soy yoghurt maybe every second day and has bread that contains soy every few days. I got some soy custard that she has had over the last few days. Although Iguess over the weeks she has been having these things more often than she was iykwim.

I just looked back and she only actually started soy 4 weeks ago tomorrow, just seems like longer!  ;)

« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 13:00:03 pm by ~Emma~ »

Offline EloysH

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 13:26:51 pm »
And because she has been having limited soy exposure during that time (one a hidden soy + a fermented product) then it makes sense that it would take 4 weeks to build up. My vote would be that the skin and the soy are linked - cause and effect  ;)

Offline ~Emma~

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 13:42:49 pm »
 So WWYD? Given that she's not having that much if a digestive reaction (ie gas, bad nappies etc) would it be wise to keep going or would you stop?

I am just wondering if there is a point when you have to get them used to soy products in order for their bodies to accept. Does that make sense? Not that I would want her to be in any discomfort of course.

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011, 18:21:42 pm »
Hi, sorry you have had this complication  :P. The nappy rash could be teething. The eczema could be anything! Olly has it on his arms at the moment and I haven't thought for one minute it was food! I assume it is the weather or he has rubbed it against something etc. He was getting it on his tummy recently and we worked out in the end it was where we had stopped putting him in vests as it was hot and so then when he was picked up his belly would rub on whoever was holding him and irritate it! Back in vests now and it has cleared up!

Of course, your LO could be MSPI. I suppose the only way to know for sure is to take it out of her diet and see if it improves. As the symptoms are only slight then I would do another trial and see if the same occurs. Otherwise you would be left wondering.

What is your gut feeling?

Offline ~Emma~

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2011, 18:56:37 pm »

What is your gut feeling?

Gut feeling is that its soy. She has patches here and there that flare and then settle with weather changes, snotty noses and being under the weather but these patches on her back and down her side are nasty...well getting that way anyways. :'( I also think that its soy because the hydrocortisone doesn't touch it, I am back to applying it all the time and it gets no better but only slightly worse each day.

I have left a message with the dietician today to see what she advises. I just dont know whether to keep going as we are.

Offline EloysH

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2011, 22:07:12 pm »
I am not sure either as there are two schools of thought - conventional says keep exposing in small amounts and wholistic says avoid and rest the immune system, reintroduce later. I thnk if they are two or older then the body supposedly has a bit more tools to digest properly.

Offline ~Emma~

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2011, 07:23:33 am »
 The dietician has recommended that we stop the soy and go back to dairy and soy free.  :'(

I have had enough already, I dont know how people do this. Its getting harder to feed her, not easier.  :'(

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2011, 11:22:21 am »
Yes it is hard but at the end of the day it is for her health and so it has to be done. It does get easier as you get used to it and have alternative foods and meals available.

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2011, 12:16:02 pm »
{{{{hugs Emma}}}}

It does seem like it is the soy and she really isn't tolerating it well.  Poor wee D.

At least if you come off it and her skin clears then you know.  if it doesn't then you can be sure the soy isn't the culprit, KWIM?

Offline ~Emma~

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2011, 13:03:47 pm »
 I just love that I can give her regular bread yk? Breakfast is a nightmare, she only drinks about 3oz from her am bottle. She hates soy milk, oat milk, coconut milk and almond milk. Cant stand the neocate on her cereal either. I dont know what to give her anymore. Its currently standing at an attempt at weetabix with apple juice on which is usually a miss but at least I can get 3 or 4 small spoonfuls in her. Then toast or dry cheerios and fruit which she loves or some soy yoghurt.

She ends up starving an hour or so later and I'm out of ideas for snacks too. She always has rice cakes in the end.

She just eats TONS of fruit and not much else to be honest. 

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2011, 13:10:28 pm »
Would she have milk in porridge? Kind of masks it. Pancakes? Maybe the american kind so they are more filling? Err - custard?

Offline ~Emma~

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2011, 13:16:56 pm »
 Nope tried every breakfast cereal you can think of with every type of milk and its the milk she hates. I just dont understand how she can hate every single one. My last ditch effirt this weekend is going to be a quinoa breakfast with the coconut milk stuff hoping that she likes it. i need an easy breakie though, I am in no place in the morning to be messing around actually cooking stuff!

Not tried pancakes but will do.  :D

She'll go back to crumpets/bagels as her bread source I suppose.

Offline EloysH

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2011, 13:21:26 pm »
Ugh, I know its hard when you have your heart set on a new opening in the diet and then to have it taken away again  >:(  We have just been recommended by our paed no gluten or dairy until he is 2!  That's another 7 months!!!

What about eggs for breakfast? Omelet with egg only is pretty quick.  Waffles made with rice milk and two eggs ( if you have a waffle maker)  as Claire said proridge or pancakes   I often make the mix up the night before and put in fridge then it is all there), dry cereal as a snack. 

It is hard to have to cook breakfast when you haven't been doing so, I am used to it now, its been over a year of cooked breakfast every morning!  If you can get a waffle maker that's prety cool, not much clean up and also we makle savory waffles too, so add pureed greens or grated potato and zucchini.  That's a good way to get the veges into them too!

Kai has always been dairy and gluten free and we rotate between the above meals for breakfast _+ fruit.