Author Topic: Low fat cream cheese question  (Read 1181 times)

Offline Bex09

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 69
  • My world xx
Low fat cream cheese question
« on: August 16, 2011, 20:16:22 pm »
Does anyone know if it is ok to use low fat cream cheese in cooking for toddlers? I know you are supposed to give full fat versions of foods like yogurt, milk, ect and DD has full fat cream cheese and loves it. But... I am trying to lose weight and when I make a family meal like pasta sauces and things that have cream cheese in I would prefer to use low fat. Don't want to do this if it is going to be bad for DD though! Any ideas?

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Low fat cream cheese question
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 20:55:05 pm »
Hi. The birth to five book says you can give low fat versions over the age of 5 if they are eating well and growing well.  But tbh my LO is only 7 months and if I make something with 'my' milk rather than his formula then it's 1% milk not full fat.  I rarely do it, at this stage I mainly make meals around his needs but I'm not buying full fat milk to use a couple of hundred ml making pancakes because I'll end up drinking the rest and putting on weight.
As you'll still be giving all the other stuff full fat I really think it will be fine for the odd meal.

Offline ~Sara~

• Showing Appreciation 264
Re: Low fat cream cheese question
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 21:04:55 pm »
I agree with creation: I think if it's a family meal, it's completely fine. :) If she gets dairy in her snacks (like cheese, milk, or yogurt) then give the full-fat versions.
*formerly tersaseda*