Author Topic: Is gagging normal?  (Read 1339 times)

Offline jay2yay

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 9
Is gagging normal?
« on: August 17, 2011, 21:20:59 pm »
I've been searching through the FAQ's and can't seem to find if gagging is a normal reaction to first introducing solids? Yesterday I gave DS avocado for the first time. He spit out every bite and if some got too far back into his mouth, he'd gag. Today went a little better. I added some breastmilk to make it creamier and this time he didn't spit it out initially. But I'm also not sure he swallowed either? After the first two spoons, he started gagging again so I stopped.

I'm trying to determine whether I should continue with avocado tomorrow, or just move onto something else.
Justine

Offline Bex09

• Showing Appreciation 69
  • My world xx
Re: Is gagging normal?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2011, 13:05:41 pm »
I think sometimes it is more the texture of certain foods that make LOs gag. I always used to think DD was going to choke but I soon realised that even slight lumps in things or a certain texture would make her gag until she got used to it. The fact that your DS was better when it was mixed with milk and had a smoother texture probably means that it is the texture he is unsure of. With my DD she never gagged on food she didn't like the taste of, she would just spit it straight back out! But she would gag with strange textures, she gagged for weeks with chicken in things when we introduced that as it was too dry I think. Now she munches away on chunks of it no problem. I would just keep trying him with a variety of different fruits and veggies and make sure they are really smooth for now. Hths.

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 13:28:32 pm »
Yup - totally normal, gagging is good, honestly!

When babies are small the gag reflex is quite far forward in their mouth and moves further back as they develop. When they are gagging they are leaning how to manipulate their oral muscles to protect their airways and deal with solids. My DS had a very sensitive gag reflex and gagged so much he would bring everything back up which was fun ::). He only ever did it while I was on my own, never when his dad was around to help clean him up and the mess!

I found certain textures were worse too. Banana was particularly bad for my two and they only managed that when I gave them whole small bananas they could control themsleves. They still gag now at times on unfamiliar textures or if they have put too much in their mouths.

Laura

Offline jay2yay

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 18:28:02 pm »
Thank you Bex and Lolly!

I went ahead and tried banana today - it was super smooth. He did so well! Ate almost 2 tsp. I'll stick with banana for another day or two and then move to sweet potato. Then I'll bring back the avocado :)

Right now, I'm only supposed to feed him once a day right? I need to revisit the FAQ's for when I move to twice a day.
Justine

Offline Bex09

• My world xx
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2011, 19:48:58 pm »
That is great news. My DD loved banana mixed with advocado at that age, so maybe that would work? She also loved sweet potato, but again I mixed some of her milk with it so it wasn't quite so dry for her. Good luck with trying new foods.

Offline jay2yay

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2011, 20:15:22 pm »
That's true, I guess knowing he doesn't have allergies with those two foods I can mix them! Oh this is so much fun! :)
Justine

Offline Bex09

• My world xx
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2011, 20:24:24 pm »
I thought it sounded horrible... but it actually tastes really nice! A good way of getting different nutrients into LO by mixing foods too. Have fun experimenting. :)

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2011, 21:02:06 pm »
Brilliant idea about mixing the foods Bex09! What fun there is to be had when weaning  ;)

Some babies do have a stronger gag reflux than others. I don't particulary remember any times that Olly gagged on foods - I consider myself lucky as it must be quite frightening at times! I think you are doing the right thing by trying again, moving on and coming back to it. It is all a learning curve for both of you so try and relax and have fun!

Offline jay2yay

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2011, 14:37:43 pm »
Thanks Buntybear, I tried the Avocado again the day after bananas and he did great! I gave it to him again yesterday but this time didn't add extra breastmilk and he did fine :) Just think he had to get used to it!
Justine