Author Topic: Activities for spirited 2 year old??  (Read 2277 times)

Offline Noahsmama09

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Activities for spirited 2 year old??
« on: August 18, 2011, 22:26:15 pm »
Hello everyone,

I'm a stay-at-home mom to my DS who is 25 months old....he is QUITE active...and I am in desperate need of new ideas for activities for him! I hoping to create a little more structure in his day...similar to a daycare setting...but not sure how to do this, or implement certain aspects. I feel as if he is missing out. I read lots of books with him, build blocks, go to the park, and for walks...outings etc. Any mommies out there have suggestions?? He is an only child! Help!

Offline RachelC

• Girl Scout Extraordinaire
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 865
Re: Activities for spirited 2 year old??
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2011, 19:38:53 pm »
Bumping this up for you

Proud to have breastfed for a combined total of 35 months

Offline Bex09

• Showing Appreciation 69
  • My world xx
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2011, 20:29:30 pm »
How about some messy play? Not all Mums are keen on this but I know at my DD's daycare they do some sort of messy activity each day and my spirited DD LOVES getting right in there and exploring. So one day they do jelly in bowls so they can squash it, eat it, splat it on the table, whatever really. Another day is shaving foam, they also do sand and water mixed together, bubbles and things like that.

Also if you have good weather sand and water trays outside can be great for pouring, splashing, digging, etc. Plus 'most' spiriteds seem to love being outside. My DD will spend ages chasing bubbles (that I blow from a bubble wand) around the garden trying to burst them. HTHs.

Offline Khalam's Mama

• Showing Appreciation 123
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2011, 22:32:04 pm »
A bubble machine is much less effort!

We recently got my trampet out and DS loves bouncing on it and gets quite tired from it (in a good way).

DS loves playdoh and modeling activities are great for them.

We tried an obstacle course with the sofa cushions/boxes/table and get them to go under/over/thru etc and time them (in a fun counting way).

Also when the slt came to our playgroup she filled a bag with all sorts of objects and got them to pull out objects one at a time and talk about them. Things like 2 ball different colours, 2 teddies different sizes, cooking things (talk about their usage), animal figures (what noise they make, where they live etc). DS loved it. He was still singing the chant "what's in the bag, what's in the bag" at bt.

atlantamomofthree

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, 23:31:43 pm »
I found this to be VERY helpful in providing activities for my ds during his toddler/preschool years! http://www.sensory-processing-disorder.com/heavy-work-activities.html
Just scroll down some and you'll see activities that focus on different types of input every child needs (whether thay have sensory processing disorder or not). :)

My ds constantly needed stimulation, and I found that strong, physical stimulation worked best. Mental stimulation was good too, but it was very hard for him to sit still until completely worn out. And he always slept GREAT at night! GL