Author Topic: no interest in self-feeding  (Read 1318 times)

Offline *Kara*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
no interest in self-feeding
« on: August 20, 2011, 04:26:35 am »
DD is 9 months old and is really not getting the hang of self-feeding.. she seems disinterested in learning to do it herself... she does paw at things on her tray but in the event something does get picked up, it just gets tossed to the floor!  She happily lets me pop things into her mouth and easily chews and swallows...

How do I help her figure this out?

Offline Lemonthyme

• Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
Re: no interest in self-feeding
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2011, 20:27:37 pm »
Ha!  My son is 15 months old and still likes being fed sometimes.  I just go with it.  I keep offering things to feed himself and have done since about 7/8 months.  Some days he will feed himself everything, some days he wants me to feed him.  I wouldn't worry, it's not a race and teething plays havoc with it.
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2011, 20:46:59 pm »
I agree. The flinging phase lasts until about 15 mths or so (and they still throw after that sometimes but the complusion to fling lessens  :P). But picking it up is getting used to the touch and feel of food, which is the first step towards eating it independently  :).

Does she have any interest in picking food off your plate?? My kids have both tended to think MY food was interesting and THEIRS was clearly poison  ::) ::). I still use that trick now to try and widen their diets and range of food. Give them something boring, then let then on my knee to eat mine instead  ;).

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2011, 22:09:26 pm »
LOL!  The flinging stage is craziness!  Especially when you add it in with a new found love of blowing raspberries - I almost need a haz mat suit to feed her some days ::)

I think I just need to give her time to get used to the feel of food!  I didn't even think about how it would be a little odd at first ;)

Thanks ladies!

Offline Lemonthyme

• Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2011, 14:18:01 pm »
Oh joy!  Does that mean I don't need to plastic coat the walls and floor soon and we can graduate to eating in our (carpeted) dining room?  Please???
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/