Author Topic: Doesn't want dinner, not hungry every night  (Read 1530 times)

Offline Tweakster

• Tweakster extraordinaire
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 444
Doesn't want dinner, not hungry every night
« on: August 21, 2011, 11:16:48 am »
So F is 2.5 and eats most of his meals at daycare.  He's a great eater, though going through the occasional picky phase. 

While they aren't the best meals ever there, she's great about including some fruit and veg and protein at every lunch.  Breakfast I send and it's normally toast, yogurt, fruit.  He's getting some snacks - usually crackers w/fruit or a muffin (she bakes) or a bagel with cream cheese (not a whole bagel). 

When we pick him up at 5:30ish he's normally had the final snack around 3:30/4.  So he's not remotely hungry when he gets home.  Due to this nap dropping malarkey, he has to go to bed earlier more often than not so there's little time for a family meal during the week.  It's usually a snack if he wants it with a cup of milk.

On weekends we try to eat well and stick to routine though we are often out and about (this will change come winter). 

Does anyone's toddler skip dinner a lot?  I feel like he's missing a whole meal from his day.  He seems to be fine with it AND it does mean he's hungrier for breakfast.
The tweaking never stops!

Offline Mashi

• Showing Appreciation 408
Re: Doesn't want dinner, not hungry every night
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 12:06:02 pm »
Yep.  Skips it a lot. And I am fine with it.  Especially on no-nap days or days out.  I just like to make sure he has had enough calories during the day, and I offer him a cup of milk (preferably with Ovaltine in it for the extra calories and vitamins) and sometimes toast with nut spread or cereal or a banana.  I let him eat it in the living room at his own table like a bedtime snack rather than have him come to the table for dinner.

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2011, 12:09:44 pm »
Mine skips tea fairly often too. Some nights she refuses tea and still doesn't drink her bedtime milk either. Last night tea was a handful of peas. but she did ask for toast at bedtime which is a first for her so she had toast and milk. She doesn't wake up hungry during the night so she must be getting what she needs.

I did notice that her last two molars are about half in so hopefully once they are in properly that will help too.

Laura
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 12:14:01 pm by Lolly »

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2011, 12:12:44 pm »
As long as he's getting protein, fruit and veg offered throughout the day (which it totally sounds like he is and that he is eating well) I definitely wouldn't worry about it. He's full and tired from a long day and a healthy bedtime snack and milk, if he wants it, is more than enough after that.
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline Tweakster

• Tweakster extraordinaire
  • Showing Appreciation 444
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2011, 23:43:29 pm »
Yeah he's getting more carbs than I would like in the daytime and mainly because it rules them out as quick options for me lol
But she does fruit, yogurt, her own baking, and she makes everything on her own.  She does sandwiches with deli meat or grilled cheese or french toast or spaghetti with homemade meat sauce and various other things.  The snacks all seem reasonably healthy, mostly fruit and veg and yogurt, occasional crackers and ice pops in the summer (so hot here!)

Tonight DH made him a Marmite crumpet and I gave him some crudites with tzatziki dip (which he happily ate! bell peppers, carrots from a friend's garden, cucumber slices).  Topped off with about half a cup of milk (is all he wanted).  He seemed fine and was ready for bed.

Thing is this kid rarely asks for food.  If you ask him if he's hungry he always says no (much like do you need the potty - no, are you tired - no, everything is no still!)  The only time he asked recently was after swimming on Saturday, then he got upset 'snack I need snack' lol  Clearly swimming makes one hungry!  Or sometimes he'll just randomly ask for pancakes or pizza, then I know he's hungry and craving carbs...

He does eat very well, she is very pleased that he will try most things she offers and eats a ton of the stuff he does like.  Wonders where he puts it all lol  He'll have two helpings of spaghetti and ask for more.

Should I be counting his calories and that?  I'm not.  I'm not even counting my own lol
The tweaking never stops!

Offline Katet

• Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2011, 00:28:59 am »
DS2 skipped dinner almost every night for about 3 years. Even now he is at school & eats next to nothing during the day  there, he still skips dinner at least 1/week. He is off the scale for height & about 75% for weight & has no behavioural issues. I just see it as the way he is.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline Mashi

• Showing Appreciation 408
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2011, 05:52:01 am »
A lot of places (most where I have lived!) do their large "hot" meal at lunch and then in the evening something light. So if he is having spaghetti at lunch (and two servings at that, and it is with home-made meat sauce) then I would consider that is "meal" - and crumpet with marmite, veggies and milk is a totally fine evening meal!!!!