Author Topic: Huger Strike, 8 month old not taking the bottle  (Read 1565 times)

Offline powerqueen13

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Huger Strike, 8 month old not taking the bottle
« on: August 21, 2011, 20:00:02 pm »
my LO is 8 months old and he was breast fed. i strated to offer the bottle at night 2 months ago. he took it by the second week for 4 weeks and then he stared refusing it. i have enough breast milk to last a month (frozen) as i am ill and can't produce no more.

He has gone on a hunger strike for the past 2 days... does not take the bottle, sippy cup, cup not even milk with spoon. i have tried all... and i nean ALL the BW suggestions and kept at...

The child is so stubborn and he has not eaten. he used to have 5 heavy diapers daily and he's had 1 diaper with dark yellow/orange colour urine.

I CAN NOT produce more milk and my baby wants the breast and won't eat....

i have tried to search the web, but nothing similar to my case... today is the 3rd day and my baby is still fighting the bottle... he hits me and hits it.

I am at your mercy.....PLEASE HELP

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: Huger Strike, 8 month old not taking the bottle
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 20:04:51 pm »
I'll see if I can get some more eyes on this, but have you rules out teething, illness etc for him? If he is not taking anything and seems to be dehydrated then I would seriously consider getting him in to see a Dr as soon as possible.

Is he taking solids or any water at all?

Laura

Offline Tay

• Showing Appreciation 79
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2011, 20:18:28 pm »
Hi there, was going to say the same thing as pp, it's probably best for you to take your LO to doc just to make sure he doesn't get dehydrated.
About feeding: Is there any way you can mix BM with the solids? Is he eating at all?
xx

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2011, 21:11:44 pm »
I agree it sounds like he might need to be checked out by a doctor if he is getting dehydrated  :( :(.

I do have experience of having to stop BFing for medical reasons. I was given 1-2 weeks to stop feeding completely so that I could start chemotherapy drugs (that obviously would be harmful to a BFing baby  :(). My DD was 9 mths and had never taken a bottle before. I actually stopped feeding my DS pretty fast at 7 mths due to his medical issues (with reflux and food intolerances), and that was hard, so with DD I was prepared.

What I did with both LOs was to give them solids as usual (mixed with water or milk), offered drinks in cups with meals and then did the milk feeds at the usual times. Or when they 'asked' for food. But otherwise I just kept them distracted and kept the bottle away.

Does your DS use a cup at all?? My DD LOVED water or juice in a cup (but not milk), but my DS was about 11 mths before he took a cup, so that was harder. For him I gave sips of water from an open cup as that is what he preferred (and at least he took a bit yk?).

Are you using the same bottle and teat every time? I chose a MAM bottle with a silk teat as I think a lot of BF babes reject silicone. A latex teat is an alternative. But whatever you choose use it everytime. Don't keep changing it.

Keep super calm and happy, and relaxed and lovely like you did when you offered the breast. With DD I cuddled her and sang and popped the teat in quick!! My DD was not stubborn though - and she had a weak spot - she loved to be fed to sleep  :) ::). So I found she would take it in the dark before sleep. DS was more of a hunger strike like you describe.

Have you BF at all since this started?? I know you are ill and have no milk - but I am assuming that you have not put him to the breast at all since this started??

All I can really offer here is some massive (((hugs))) and say that I do understand how awful this is. But your LO will take that bottle soon. He will. He will. He will. He will. He will not starve himself, and at the moment he just doesn't realise that he has to suck from that plastic thing instead. Even if he has taken one before he still likely hasn't understood that anything other than your breast is any use for taking away milk hunger. It is kind of waiting for them to 'get that' that causes all these bottle rejection issues.

Try and relax around him. It is NOT your fault that he cannot have his breast milk, and our kids do pick up on our own upset. Distract, cuddle, sing, whatever you think may work for him!! They are all different - and my DDs desire to feed to sleep was strong enough to help me out.

I WOULD take him to get checked tomorrow in view of dehydration - and do give wet solids and any other fluids you can get into him.

I SO SO SO hope this ends soon. I ended up giving my DD her first bottle sobbing in the bedroom telling her what a wonderful clever girl she was. The relief that she would feed from the bottle was so great (she had done a 24 hr hunger strike the day before).

AND I am so sorry that you are both going through this. Is is awful for both of you - and just horrid for any BFing Mama  :(.

*** Is there ANYTHING you haven't tried? Warm teat? Formula rather than EBM? Is your frozen EBM sour so the formula may be better tasting? Will he take it in the middle of the night when it is dark and he is sleepy - like of like a dream feed???

Thinking of you both and am here to help if I can - and offer hugs and sympathy as well  :'( :'( :'( :-* :-* :-*

Offline powerqueen13

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2011, 22:39:27 pm »
Thank you ladies for the replys :)

Considering its the weekend and there are no dr. around.. i had a friend who is a dr drop by and check if he is dehydrated...well not fully, not yet, so far he is ok.... but if it continues like this for a little while longer then yes.

i had enough fresh expressed milk to last 5 days... yes... i pumped day and night to place that amount in the frindge... i now 2 days worth left.
i did check my frozen milk...it has not turned sour... thank Goodness.
i tried different teats and bottles....no luck... except with one... so i stuck with it... but now he doesn't want that one either
i tried running it under hot water...no luck
i tried Formula... powder and ready to drink from a bottle... no luck

he's never dream fed... so that won't work!
i tried different positions and times of day, like dark at night, bright at morning... casual druing the day...no luck
I tried when he was tired, happy, crying and alert....no luck
i tried singing.. laughing.. being stern.. forcing.....no luck

i know he knows how to drink from a bottle, because he was taking a bit at night last week, its as if he knows that if he takes the bottle he will never get the breast again... i can;t go back to BF because i need to start the meds.

this so stressfull... and i hope no one goes through this

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2011, 08:15:14 am »
He will cave soon, he really will. And if you need to start meds that he cannot share (that was my situation as well) then you will have to get through this.

If he is getting dehydrated he may need to be admitted to the paeds ward for this transition to be medically supervised. They do do this in extreme cases.

Have you spoken to your health visitor? Is there any additional support they could offer?

When I was diagnosed I was told that I would not be left to sort everything out on my own and that my breast cancer care nurse would get Megan admitted to hospital for them to help we with the breast to bottle if that was necessary or just what I wanted. I decided to try myself first since I had done it before with DS - but I was certainly too emotionally raw to cope with a full hunger strike at that stage.

It is morning now - get on the phone and get some people to help you.

Do you have a health team that could help you fight your corner and get some paed support???

And sadly you won't be the last Mama who goes through this  :'( :'(. It does happen that Mamas get ill and can't feed anymore  :(.

Just to add once they do accept that bottle feed it is amazing how fast they forget the breast - after a week or so it is all gone and the LO is happily a bottle fed baby. The horrid bit is just getting there in the first place  :'(.

Offline powerqueen13

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2011, 15:48:32 pm »
by the end of the 5th day he TOOK the bottle... yey
both myself and husband cried so hard and were very happy... new challenge

Get him to take formula

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2011, 16:06:15 pm »
That's great!

Maybe just stick with the beer - looks like he was going to give it a go ;)!

How much is he actually taking in the bottle now? Have you tried different formulas or just stuck with one?

Laura

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2011, 17:22:31 pm »
Have you tried mixing Breast milk with formula?  Sometimes the drastic change in taste is what they don't like...