Author Topic: reasoning for portion recommendations  (Read 1118 times)

Offline jay2yay

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 9
reasoning for portion recommendations
« on: August 22, 2011, 17:19:42 pm »
Hello, just wondering what the reasoning is exactly behind the recommendations, "start with 1 or 2 tsp", "start with breakfast", etc? Is it bc of possibly allergic reactions? Is it because if you give more than a couple tsps it could affect milk supply?

I am wondering because this morning I was giving DS pears. When it was gone, he started crying bc he wanted more (he loves it!). So, I gave him some more. Is this not good or is it just "up to me"? I know I gave him more than a tbsp before he was finished.

Are we not supposed to wait until they gives signs that they're finished this early on?

Also....is it also "up to me" if I want to give him 2/3 meals a day already? Or, like I said, is this really not a healthy thing for me to do for him.
Justine

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: reasoning for portion recommendations
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 17:36:36 pm »
It is up to you really, but I think the main reason to go slow in the beginning is not to overload their systems. You are letting them adjust to digesting solids which will be different from digesting their milk by only doing 1 meal a day for a little while and then building up to 3 meals. What goes in ok doesn't always come out ok ;)

You also don't want them to start decreasing their milk in favour of solids, milk is the most important part of their diet until they are 1 so it's something to watch. If you do milk feeds first and solids as part of A time an hour or so later they will fill up on milk first and have solids as an add on new experience.

With allergies, if you have none in the family it's unlikely your LO will have but it's still possible so if you give new tastes in the morning you have time to watch for reactions (allergic and digestive) during the day. A lot of people follow the 3 day rule and keep tastes as single items so you know what the reaction was to if there is one.

You can be guided by him, if he wants a bit more that's ok but just watch he doesn't drop his milk intake.

Laura

Offline jay2yay

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 19:00:45 pm »
ok great - Thanks for answering all of my questions, Laura :)
Justine

Offline Lemonthyme

• Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2011, 11:10:26 am »
I don't think there's a problem with 2-3 meals a day after 6 months but just be on the watch out for dropping milk.  To start with I think the idea is solids are an addition to milk and it's only as they get much closer to 1 year old they start to drop feeds.

Perhaps increase to two feeds and see how it goes.

I found the reactions with my son were far more likely to be digestive so the idea of feeding in the morning means his bowel has more time to sort it out and hopefully no 2am messy poos!

One thing I would do though is introduce more savoury flavours as early as you can.  Pureed pears are popular with loads of kids but they are pretty sweet.  Just to save yourself hassle later, why not try some vegetables too?  You can try the sweeter ones like parsnip, carrot, swede etc. and move onto broccoli, cauliflower (no reason not to try cauliflower cheese after the age of 6 months for example).
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline jay2yay

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2011, 13:38:42 pm »
Ok sounds great, Lemonthyme! I started with Avocado, then banana, then sweet potato, and now pear so I'm tryin to mix it up a bit! Next we'll try carrots :) Thanks!!
Justine