Author Topic: Confirming how to introduce 1st bottle as per Tracy?  (Read 1704 times)

Offline razzberry

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • Motherhood makes me complete
Confirming how to introduce 1st bottle as per Tracy?
« on: August 22, 2011, 20:41:44 pm »
Hello,

I would like to introduce my son to the bottle. He is 4 months old and exclusively breastfed. I did try giving him the bottle before, he took a little milk and then refused to continue drinking from the bottle - but i haven't been consistent with this. Tracy mentions in the BW that one should introduce the bottle at the first feed, if your baby doesn't want to take the bottle within 5 minutes, you should wait an hour and then try again. You should do this for the entire day and the trauma of introducing a bottle will be over within 24 hours.

I just need to clarify some things that isn't too clear in the book or my understanding thereof.

1) On day one of introducing the bottle i should try for a maximum of 5 minutes each hour for the whole day, and not give in by offering the breast. If he hasn't taken the bottle i should put him down for his naps irrespective. I am assuming this would result in earlier wake ups and a disruption of routine?

2) Let's say he takes the bottle, do i have to continue giving him the bottle for the rest of the feeds that day and continue giving him the bottle for 48 hrs before switching back to the breast? Judging from Tracy's comments it seems this way to me.

3) What if he does not take the bottle within 24 hours and it's bedtime. At which point do i give him the breast or should i not give in. I am asking because Tracy mentions that with Grumpy babies it could take up to 2 to 3 days for them to accept the bottle. I believe i have a spirited baby though.

Your advice around the above would be great. Please help.

Regards,
Razaana

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: Confirming how to introduce 1st bottle as per Tracy?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 21:33:41 pm »
I will post some links that you will find useful to help you get your LO to take a bottle. We don't suggest going "cold turkey" with such a young baby unless it's an emergency situation really. As he is so young, he could get dehydrated quite quickly so a gentler approach is fairer for him (and you). For babies over 6 months they will be eating solids and drinking some water so they are better able to cope with a more drastic approach if it needs to be done for medical reasons or if mum needs to go back to work soon for example.

Some of Tracy's breastfeeding advice in the books isn't inline with current thinking, we do believe that if she hadn't passed away when she did that she would have updated her advice to meet current recs.

Here are the links, have a read through them and see what you think. Come back if you need some more help and I'll get some of the breastfeeding ladies to have a look.

http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=178500.0
http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=173309.0

Laura

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 21:41:57 pm »
Just wanted to agree with Laura.  Cold turkey with a baby so young isn't recommended.  Those links have some great info in them

What bottles are you using?  And what teat?

Initially even if he is taking a little milk from a bottle I'd consider that a success so maybe try offering a bottle and even if he takes only an oz (or less) consider that grand and then wait a while and then offer a BF.

Are you moving to bottles or do you just want him to beable to take a bottle once a day?  Do you do a DF?  Lots of people have success with offering a bottle at that time. 

Offline razzberry

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, 07:57:49 am »
Hi and thank you for your replies,

Apologies for only replying now, my baby has reflux and this has been my focus for the past few weeks.

I have read all those tips, thank you.

I am only looking to introduce one bottle of EBM a day, so when i do return to work in October he won't go on a hunger strike. He will however be 5 1/2 months when i return to work. I was wondering whether i should try to introduce the bottle or simple move straight to introducing a trainer cup?

I think i will try giving him a bottle first thing in the morning. Try for 5 minutes, take 20 min break and try again, if he still doesnt want this change nappy and breastfeed him. I was also considering doing this at the dream feed, but i'm skeptical because hes bound to dirty and get wet trying to suck on the teat and i don't want to disturb his sleep by changing at that hour etc?

Regards,
Razaana

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2011, 08:46:34 am »
Do you dreamfeed now? If you don't it's worth a try - my two never dirtied or wet during a DF so he may not.

Hope you are getting somewhere with the reflux.

Laura

Offline razzberry

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2011, 11:29:40 am »
Hi,

Thanks for your reply  :)

I do dreamfeed yes. So i will try at this time.

The reflux is a bit of a nightmare, because although he is on meds, he is still not feeding well (pulls his hair, rubs eyes, and only feeds for 5 minutes) Also cannot settle by himself at bedtime. Doctor thinks there might be a colic component, because this is the only time he is really fussy. And i don't know how i can promote independent sleep if his uncomfortable.

Is it okay to still try the bottle even though he is having reflux issues and possibly a little colicky?

Regards,
Razaana