Author Topic: When to introduce nuts/seeds/honey etc?  (Read 3479 times)

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
When to introduce nuts/seeds/honey etc?
« on: August 15, 2011, 18:16:20 pm »
So we are already wheat/dairy/egg free and he is fairly picky anyway so our foodie repetoire is quite limited. Added into that I have never really risked using some of those other allergenic foods such as nuts, sesame, shellfish, spices etc etc. Also haven't used honey as not sure what age that is recommended for.

Does anyone have any ideas on when is considered 'safe' to include/trial those foods for sensitive LOs?

Thanks

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
Re: When to introduce nuts/seeds/honey etc?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 18:25:08 pm »
Also, what about coconut? Is that OK to try?

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 18:32:12 pm »
Honey is ok after a year, the issue being a form of infant botulism that is harmful to young babies.  I think most spices are fine too, some people even start with them before a year.  Nuts are one of those things that so many people have different advice for, we did peanut butter from after a year but with no known family allergies.  With whole nuts I think the issue is more choking and are recommended after 3yrs.  Coconut, I'm not too sure, but I think I remember Eloise saying once it is high in salycilates, so if that is something you are avoiding then it might not be appropriate.  We've never given actual coconut but use coconut oil and milk in cooking, and those are fine.  Shellfish, again probably depends on if there are family allergies.  We actually don't eat much of it, but we have given it to both boys before and they have been ok.

For us, with no family allergies or intolerances, pretty much anything goes after a year.  But in the case where there are known allergies, I think the waiting period for introduction would probably vary from child to child.  :-\
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 18:35:34 pm »
Thanks Martina  :D

See, we have no known history of allergies yet Olly is allergic to these main food stuffs! We have no peanut allergy so would it be safe to try it? Or given his immue system is very sensitive to wait?  ???

Offline ~Sara~

• Showing Appreciation 264
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 18:41:39 pm »
I agree with what Martina suggested.

We don't have any family history of food allergies, but we waited until DS was ~1yo to give him peanut butter for the first time.  His bottom broke out in a rash, so we waited a few more months before trying it again.  No rash anymore.  We've done some nuts (like pecans or walnuts), but only in chopped pieces and normally in cooking.

If you're going to try new foods, I think it's best to treat it like anything else: make sure it's one food at a time so that you can isolate any reactions.  There's also no harm in waiting either, if that's what you prefer :)
*formerly tersaseda*

Offline ~inbalance~

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 00:18:04 am »
What I think I remember reading with nut allergies is that waiting doesn't decrease the chance he will be allergic - if he is now he is.  It just gives you more time before finding out?  ???  I don't know, it's up to you I guess.  Another thing I think too is that you can't be allergic to something you've never had, you have to be exposed to it first.  And you can have something 1000 times and be fine, but then develop an allergy the 1001th time.  If you are going to introduce something like peanut butter, I don't think it makes a difference whether you do it now or in another 1.5yrs.  But like Sara suggested, go slow and don't introduce something else, and watch for reactions.  I think it would be obvious after a few times if he reacts.
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2011, 03:17:44 am »
Another thing I think too is that you can't be allergic to something you've never had, you have to be exposed to it first.  And you can have something 1000 times and be fine, but then develop an allergy the 1001th time.

But, you might want to consider exposure in the womb as the first exposure (our allergist does) or through BF.

I'm not really sure on the reasons behind not feeding allergenic foods until after 3, I am sure at one point it was thought to reduce the possibility of developing allergies, but not sure if that is still the case.  We haven't fed Spencer any nuts or "may contain" nut products ever, but we have a huge family history of allergies/asthma and frankly I will only do that at the allergists office or parked outside the ER.

We have no peanut allergy so would it be safe to try it?

Specific allergies are not inherited, only the tendancy to be allergic is.  For our family we have 3 of the kids first cousins with anaphylactic allergies (nuts, eggs, kiwi), my sister to seafood, DH has asthma (as do a large portion of my family) and tons of relatives with alot of intolerances (milk, eggs etc) so I am scared of feeding my kids commonly allergenic foods.

Oh, and as far as I know, coconut is not actually a nut, though the FDA in the States now lumps it in with tree nuts.
Heidi

Offline ~inbalance~

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2011, 13:06:45 pm »
But, you might want to consider exposure in the womb as the first exposure (our allergist does) or through BF.
Good point!  I suppose it is more in the case of other allergens, i.e. topical creams, cats, dogs, etc. that you would develop later.  I just remember hearing it from my skincare class in college, when the teacher said you need to be exposed to something first to become allergic to it.  Never considered being exposed in utero for food allergies!
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2011, 13:44:40 pm »
Never considered being exposed in utero for food allergies!

No, I hadn't either until the Dr. pointed it out! Not sure if all allergists agree on that point though.

Heidi

Offline ~inbalance~

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2011, 13:57:23 pm »
It makes sense to me!
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010

Offline Mashi

• Showing Appreciation 408
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2011, 14:23:53 pm »
I found that the allergist, the paed, the GP, and all research I did (reputable sources but online) basically gave me 100 different opinions ::) Basically all of the things that Martina and Heidi have said - and I just kept reading and reading until I made up my mind on who and what to believe and what to do about it.

I am from quite an allergenic family and DS was milk/soy intolerant/allergic so we proceeded with caution BUT I also wanted to try them and not live in fear all the time, kwim? It is a fine balance and where you choose that line is really just a matter of where you feel most comfortable.

Honey we waited until after a year but that is due to botulism not allergies. Nuts we waited until he had outgrown his milk/soy allergy, so about 14/15 months.   I did peanut butter first and then shortly after all various nuts - mainly they say nuts not until 5yo or so but that is due to choking more than anything, so I smash them up (put in zipper bag and knock with rolling pin) and seeds I actually never held off on - not sure when first exposure was but prob in that 16-18 month age range.

Coconut is not a nut, so it is pretty safe - I actually *think* it is considered a very non-allergenic substance....meaning few people are allergic to it, but of course you can be allergic to anything so there is a chance but it is not a common one. I think!

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2011, 11:53:59 am »
thanks everyone  ;D

I happened to see the allergist this week and asked him this question. He said that he can't give me answer now but can in 2 years as there is an extensive study being done into this right now. At the end of it there should be conclusive evidence either way but for now he REFUSED to give me any advice. Brilliant!

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2011, 15:09:35 pm »
Well that's helpful!  I'm curious about that study now though.
Heidi

Offline Lemonthyme

• Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2011, 17:07:26 pm »
I've recently been told it's ok to feed my son nuts (no history of food allergies in our family but he has eczema and it used to be recommended to wait).  He's had some cereal which has been in contact with nuts without having the nuts (if that makes sense, ie he nicked some of my almond oats and more flakes) but I've not been brave enough totally to give him nuts.  He's had a tiny bit of honey, as others said that's to do with Clostridium botulinum and he's had sesame in hummous.
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/