Author Topic: Increased wind?  (Read 1256 times)

Offline CoraDora

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Increased wind?
« on: August 24, 2011, 10:05:18 am »
I have noticed my LO is rather windy since starting solids (BLW) - I guess it is to be expected? Does anyone have any tips for making her more comfortable, as she is waking in the night bringing her knees up and often having a good parp! I have been giving her gripe water, but this doesn't always help.

Offline Lemonthyme

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
Re: Increased wind?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2011, 11:19:56 am »
I'm not sure I believe in gripe water.  It contains sodium bicarbonate so if there's a touch of reflux or indigestion it will instantly neutralise the stomach acid but (and here's the science bit...)

HCl (in stomach acid) + NaHCO3 (in gripe water) -> NaCl + H20 + CO2

Therefore gripe water produces gas because it reacts to make carbon dioxide!  So after it she might burp but it's just the gas from the reaction.  Also it produces salt in the stomach which when you're on solids isn't great because it's hard enough as it is to keep to below the recommended 1g salt a day.

So...  The usual culprits blamed are cruciferous vegetables, ie broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower etc.  Do they cause wind?  Personally I never find they do with me.  I find garlic is more of a culprit!  I do think though that whatever you feed there will be a bit of digestive system adaptation time.  I'm not sure what you can do about that, maybe just try things and see how she is?  I think it's very easy to see a reaction and think *it's definitely that which caused it* but you can end up really restricting your child's diet if you're not careful.  I remember seeing my son's eczema flare up slightly after some egg and I avoided egg for a few weeks till I mentioned it to my health visitor and she recommended trying it again and there was no reaction at all.

Good luck.  I remember 6 months being a fussy time but things get better soon.
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2011, 17:27:46 pm »
HI, I guess it will take time for her immature digestive system to mature. Try lots of leg bicycling, rub her tummy lightly in a clockwise direction etc.

Do you find it is worse after particular foods?

Offline CoraDora

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2011, 20:42:27 pm »
Thanks for your replies!

I am not sure if it is certain foods, but I will consider that more. Perhaps she is just gulping down air when she is drinking water?

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2011, 21:04:39 pm »
That is another possibilty. I remember stopping BT milk for a while and he had it after dinner but before BT in case it was that that gave us windy NWs!