Author Topic: Question about milk for 17 month old  (Read 1420 times)

Offline Sam-n-Max's Mommy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 29
« on: August 25, 2011, 12:38:13 pm »
Hi Ladies,
I have a quick question.  When do you give milk to your toddler? We are down to one bottle (when he wakes up) that I actually think is going to be gone pretty soon since he's been only taking a few ounces each morning for the past week.  I have been giving him water and milk in his sippy cup, but haven't really been giving it at specific times.  Is it something that should be structured -- meaning milk with meals, water the rest of the time etc? I have been doing it randomly -- mostly because I can't count on him to drink a lot of milk with his meal, so in order to get to his daily dairy intake (in combination with other dairy products), I feel like I need to give him milk when he will take it, which means that I am constantly offering it throughout the day.  What do you all do or am I doing it right?
Thanks!!!
--Nicole
(formerly samsmommy3312010)

Offline Lemonthyme

• Mamacook
Re: Question about milk for 17 month old
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2011, 16:52:38 pm »
I give milk to my 15 month old first thing (about an hour before breakfast) and straight before bed.  He takes varying amounts though, especially at bedtime.  My sister's 7 year old though still has milk on waking and bedtime!
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline FroggyMom

• Showing Appreciation 12
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2011, 11:54:10 am »
I give milk to my 20 month old 3 times a day with his meals.  He drinks about 16-18 oz of milk a day.  His pediatrician said that this was a good amount of milk for a child his age (average is usually 12-16 oz).

That being said....I do not think there is a right or wrong time to give your LO milk.  I think it depends on the child.  If your LO will not drink enough milk with his meals, I think it is good to try to get him to drink it at snack or another time.

Offline huntersmummyinoz

• Showing Appreciation 100
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 11:46:04 am »
ds2 was having milk with breakfast lunch and dinner (and then got sick and refused all milk since, but that's another story ::) ) BUT i do think he was filling up on milk at breakfast and not eating much else.

ds1 at 18mths dropped milk with breaky, and just had a cup with lunch and dinner, and still does at 3.5yo, LOVES the stuff.

was more of a personal choice for me as i always remember having a cup of milk with dinner as a kid.

i know quite a few give milk with snacks tho when their LO wont drink enuf after a meal.

there's really no right or wrong, just whatever works for you both :-*

Offline huntersmummyinoz

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2011, 11:48:49 am »
also at this age, it's more about how many serves of dairy he has in a day for adequate calcium intake. depends where in the world u r as the recommendations, in australia it's 3 serves, it was 4 serves when we were in uk (supposedly due to less sunlight/ vitamin D). so if u found a time he would have one good cup of milk, but also a yoghurt and cheese somewhere in his day, then that would be enuf if he isnt that keen on it.

Offline Sam-n-Max's Mommy

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2011, 02:25:53 am »
Thanks for your help, ladies! Sorry for the late response -- massive power outage here from hurricane so just getting internet access again now. 
--Nicole
(formerly samsmommy3312010)

Offline huntersmummyinoz

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2011, 10:31:48 am »
no worries hun, hope you and yours are all ok :-*