Author Topic: Dropping feeds and breastmilk/formula ratio question  (Read 2564 times)

Offline lovie

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Dropping feeds and breastmilk/formula ratio question
« on: August 27, 2011, 16:07:07 pm »
OK, I need advice on how to transition to formula from breast milk for my almost 8 month old. I am going to go about it really slow because my lo has constipation issues. Last time I tried it didn't go so well, but there were some other factors involved such as starting solids and changing sleep issues, and teething. So I am starting back up again.

I was going to go about it by dropping the 3rd feed of the day for a week, then drop the second feed for a week, drop morning feed, and then drop last feed.

I plan on slowly going about 1oz of formula and then 7 oz of breast milk for that first dropped feed. I was going to do this for a week and then do the 2 oz of formula and 6 oz of breast milk for the next week.

My questions is, should I do the slow formula/ breastmilk ratio with each dropped feed. So on the 2nd week, I do the 2 oz of formula 6 oz of breast milk for newly dropped 2nd and 3rd feeds?

I was wanting to know so I can start all this with the right amount of pumped breast milk. Does this make sense??!!??

Offline *Kara*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
Re: Dropping feeds and breastmilk/formula ratio question
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2011, 17:05:42 pm »
Why are you weaning to formula?  Back to work or just no longer enjoying it?

As for the switch, I would do it over a couple of weeks total... Are you pumping all feeds?

Offline lovie

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2011, 20:35:59 pm »
Yes, I just want a little more freedom right now. I feel badly that I am stopping, but I guess not bad enough to continue. I still may just drop the 2nd and 3rd and hang on to the first and last feed. I am going to play that part by ear.

I am still nursing on all feeds. I am a one side nursing gal. For the last couple of days I have nurse dd on one side and pump on the other side in the morning.

I plan on dropping the 3rd feed and pump that feed in order to keep up the milk supply in the freezer. I will do that until we are 100% on formula.

I have 42 oz in the freezer right now. 

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2011, 20:55:39 pm »
I'm really not sure, but I would think that swapping an oz every day would be slow enough, she's having solids so is used to digesting a range of foods now. If you are only swapping 1oz over a week it will take you at least 6 weeks to get to only formula and that would be a significant amount of pumping - you would need 42oz for the first week alone.

If you did one feed to formula one week, then the second feed to formula the next week and keep the other two feeds as breastfeeds you wouldn't need to do so much pumping. You would need (quick calculation miind ;)) 20ish oz of BM to reduce one feed to formula. The trouble with pumping so much is that your body will respond by producing more milk which is really the opposite of what you are trying to do :-\

Laura

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2011, 22:27:50 pm »
I agree with Laura - I would do the switch faster to avoid major engorgement issues...

Have you tried giving her a bottle of just formula?  If bubs will take it, I would just replace an entire feed with a formula one... then change another feed the following week...

Offline lovie

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2011, 16:31:53 pm »
The reason I am doing it so slow is because of the constipation issues that we have been having. I have started the "switch over" this week and it has been going good.

I think my plan now is to only drop the 2nd and 3rd feeds (dropping one per week) and change the bm to formula ratio every 5 days. I know this does sound so slow in moving, but this constipation thing has me so nervous. That is literally the only reason I am doing it so slowly.

Am I nuts?

I have 46 oz of BM in freezer now. I pump in the morning and during the dropped feeds to help with the ratio.

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2011, 16:41:04 pm »
I understand why you want to go slowly, but I think by pumping at the dropped feeds you could end up with over supply issues. As she is on solids you can give extra water and foods which would help any possible constipation issues.

I'll ask for any of the BF mods to have a look and see what they can advise!

Personally *I* do think you may be slightly nuts :P :D but if it suits you and your family you need to do what you feel is best.

Laura

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2011, 17:05:42 pm »
LOL @ Laura... I agree that you are going a bit far with concern over the constipation... I am the mother of a baby who has to take a daily laxative therapy so I am more than familiar with constipation and the fear it causes for a mom.  Honestly, try not to worry... from experience, I can tell you that a baby will stop eating completely if the constipation is bad... at that point, you can take serious action, but before that there really isn't much to do except up the intake of water and prunes ;)

Offline ~ Vik ~

• Showing Appreciation 224
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2011, 01:39:07 am »
Hello! I switched Dylan from breastmilk to soymilk for his daytime feeds around 16mo. I used much the same method as you, and at about the same rate TBH! I was going that slowly because we were having problems with rejection on full soy, so i thought a gradual switch would be better. I agree that you do have to be careful with the pumping so not to cause an oversupply, but you can gradually wean the pump too (just gradually pump for less time).

Re: the constipation though, at this age you do have more options. Even little things in the diet (lots of fruits, especially pears, peaches, prunes, apricots, not bananas) and ensuring plenty of water can help. Going gradually will do no harm at all, but if you want to move at a faster pace an oz every couple of days will probably be slow enough for your lo to adjust.

Hth!
D ~ dairy, egg, peanut/nut and mustard allergies
Proud to have breastfed for over 24 months!

Offline lovie

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2011, 02:30:39 am »
Ok, I would really like to motto through all the pumping! So I'll drop a feed a week and each day increase formula by an oz until all formula.

I did try all formula awhile back, but it was when teething, starting solids, nap issues came in place. Didn't go well