Author Topic: Switching from bottle to sippy cup  (Read 1056 times)

Offline Marie-O

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 4
  • Cute little feet
Switching from bottle to sippy cup
« on: August 28, 2011, 14:15:07 pm »
Hello ladies!
My DD is almost 11 month she takes 3 bottles a day (6-8oz each). Her doc advised us yesterday to start switching to sippy cup and that by 1 year of age she shouldn't be taking any more bottles!!
I wont stress because I don't think we should hurry... but we definitely have to work towards that.

She drinks water with no problem on a sippy (both straw and regular), so we thought it wouldn't be that hard. We started few days ago putting her afternoon milk (formula) on a sippy but she doesn't want to drink it! She takes like one or two gulps and then refuses it.

Any ideas on how to make her drink her milk on a sippy?

TIA
Marie

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: Switching from bottle to sippy cup
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2011, 18:51:51 pm »
Keep practising! Most mums will tell you that when they switched to milk in a sippy cup they refuse it at first or drink a few sips and then refuse. Keep offering it to her and she will get the idea and drink milk in a sippy, it may take a few weeks but her intake should creep back up again as she gets used to it.

Laura

Offline Marie-O

• Showing Appreciation 4
  • Cute little feet
Re: Switching from bottle to sippy cup
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2011, 19:27:46 pm »
Thank you Laura!
I read a link on how to switch to sippy and they advise to offer 1 or 2 oz of formula on a sippy at every meal (as if it was juice or water) and little by little she will get use to the taste of her milk on a sippy.

As you said I'll keep trying with patience. It took her almost 2 month to like drinking water on a sippy....so I should expect maybe the same time for milk ;)
Marie

Offline kinderbaby

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2011, 09:48:29 am »
Thanks for sharing the link, I have gone through it and it was really helpful. I would like to add that weaning a baby from bottle to a sippy cup is a popular transition. In my opinion, sippy cups can be a great way for your baby to transition from nursing or bottle-feeding to a regular cup.