Author Topic: which formula?  (Read 1319 times)

Offline dizzy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« on: August 28, 2011, 19:33:31 pm »
Hi looking for some formula advice. At the moment I am feeding my LO 6 feeds a day 3 breast milk and 3 formula. My LO is very windy and has colic, he is very bad with it in the evening and then in the middle of the night. I am giving him cow and gate 1 at the moment and have since 3 weeks old (was only 1 feed then - have upped it slowly to 3) am wondering if it may be the formula that is making him so windy. He does lots of smelly trumps but doesn't always poo every day. He screams before and when he trumps and in the night it comes in waves every 20 mins for about 2 hours. He does do this after a breast milk feed as well. At the moment the df is formula and then the next is breast and so on.
Can change formula to SMA, Cow and Gate for hungry babies or aptamil easily and to another formula if I order it and have it delivered. Anyone suggest one that I should change to or should I just stick with it thinking he will grow out of it soon. He is 9 1/2 weeks and more than 10 lb 5 oz.
Can you mix formula and breats milk in same bottle? or would that just be clutching at straws?

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: which formula?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2011, 19:43:46 pm »
You can mix breastmilk and formula, just make sure that you mix the formula as per directions on the tin before you add the breastmilk.

What are his poos like? Have you seen any mucous or blood? I'm wondering if he is having issues with cow's milk protien, a lot of the symptoms you describe could possibly point to that.

What do you think?

Laura

Offline dizzy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2011, 19:52:15 pm »
Certainly no blood, will look for carefully for mucus but haven't noticed any. Poo is like chicked korma and is a bit sticky when comes.

Offline dizzy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 09:26:24 am »
Think I can get hipp milk as well, which would advise chaging to if going to change milk? Cow and gate comfort, SMA, Aptamil or hipp?

Offline Lolly

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2011, 09:48:03 am »
I'm afraid we can't really advise you which formula to change to as every baby is so individual and what suits some may not suit others.

I have used Cow & Gate and Aptamil with my two - both the first milks and the comfort formulas, I did prefer Aptamil over Cow & Gate. I have heard some babies get very constipated on SMA, but others do better on it. You just never know until you try.

I would however suggest you speak to your Dr or other child health person before you switch formulas to see what they have to say.

Laursa

Offline dizzy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2011, 13:34:41 pm »
HV already suggested change formula to c&g comfort but hard to get here. I have managed to get some which I can buy tomorrow afternoon so am thinking about whether I should go for it. Do I have a lot to loose? Can it get worse if I change the milk?

Offline Lolly

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2011, 18:46:59 pm »
Again I really couldn't say - the only way would be to try. If your HV has suggested the comfort milk I would try that first.

Laura