Author Topic: Is it really a dairy intolerance??  (Read 10698 times)

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Re: Is it really a dairy intolerance??
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2011, 18:28:18 pm »
I am sorry you are going through this. It sounds like he could have MSPI. Are you going to take all soy and dairy out of his solids diet too?

Offline mjohnson33

• Showing Appreciation 2
  • Cole
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2011, 20:08:19 pm »
Buntybear, yes I am going to try as much as possible.  I dont think his allergy is severe if he has one.  How do I know if soy and dairy is in his solids?? Is there a list?

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2011, 21:27:49 pm »
No I don't think it is sever but if you are going to try HAF then you may as well go the whole hog and take it fully out of his diet. Then it is easier to trial it abck in in a few weeks time.

You will need to check the ingredient lists on eveything that you give! It is hard to start with but gets easier.

Offline mjohnson33

• Showing Appreciation 2
  • Cole
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2011, 21:41:58 pm »
So, I just look for soy and dairy in things and avoid it?

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2011, 22:28:21 pm »
So, I just look for soy and dairy in things and avoid it?
Yep. And all the incarnations and derivatives of them as well.

This should help: http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=135427.0

Offline mjohnson33

• Showing Appreciation 2
  • Cole
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2011, 13:39:44 pm »
Ok, so today is day 8 on the HAF formula.  Shouldnt I see a difference by now??  I am still having to use the same amount of miralax everyday or he gets stopped up.  The only differnence is he sometimes will poop before he has that bottle in the am but even if he does and I lower the miralax for the day he starts getting backed up already.  Also, his reflux is pretty much the same as well.  I thought it was getting better but my sitter said he is still spitting up at ton at her house 3 days a week. And, his eczema is the same too.  His nights are the same as well, he is still restless and I do see a link to the stomach on this.  Seems like if he is constipated he is more restless and then when he has to poop or is going to poop soon he is restless as well.....any advice on this would be greatly appreciated!!! :)

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2011, 17:33:57 pm »
I don't think it's a dairy issue hun.  How much Miralax is he taking now?  Are you giving a probiotic as well?

Offline mjohnson33

• Showing Appreciation 2
  • Cole
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2011, 18:18:22 pm »
He is on 2 tsp a day of miralax.  I have not tried probiotics as the HAF (Nutramigen) is supposed to have them in it.

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2011, 18:22:56 pm »
2 tsp a day is a standard dose for a bubs around 20 lbs :) 

Are you going to switch back to standard formula?  Regardless of the low level of probiotics in the HAF, I would start him on a separate probiotic... the concentration and quality of the probiotics in the formula won't do much to help him out.. I use BioGaia and they are amazing!!!  You can get them at the pharmacy behind the counter (they are refrigerated so you have to ask for them).  They are about $40 but last a couple of months :)  The dose for a baby is the same as an adult - 5 drops :)

DD started pooping so much better with 2 days of the BioGaia... I was able to stop the Miralax after a week of using both together... she was on Miralax for almost 2 months and was the same as your LO... miss half a dose and would get backed up again...

Funny enough, my cat is taking them right now too to help her out while on antibiotics ;)  The whole family, including the four legged kids can use them :)

Offline mjohnson33

• Showing Appreciation 2
  • Cole
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2011, 18:27:14 pm »
I was going to wait another week on the HAF before I switched back.  But I would think if it was an intolerance the difference I would see would be super dramatic already right??  My drugstore sells the BioGaia, I will definately get them after I switch back to regular formula.  This HAF stuff is $26 a can that lasts me 5 days!!! Its ridiculous!!! 

How did you decide to try the probiotics??

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2011, 18:35:03 pm »
OUCH!  That's a little pricey!  I would expect to see a change after a few days that would gradually get better and better... if he is still the same, I don't think it's dairy.

I asked Dr Sears about my DD's constipation issues and probiotics were one of the first things he suggested :)  Also, Kirsten in my birth club (she's an RN who used to work for a gastro dr) suggested the brand.

Offline mjohnson33

• Showing Appreciation 2
  • Cole
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2011, 18:38:58 pm »
Yeah, its totally ridiculous!!! 

I just wish I knew for sure what was going on.  I would hate to switch back to the Gentelease and him get worse. :(

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2011, 23:45:06 pm »
It's so hard when you don't know what will work best... I know exactly how you feel... I am so scared every time I change something with DD's diet... I do not want to have her go through that whole experience ever again.

Rest assured that the constipation issues do generally resolve around a year of age once they are eating a balanced diet and moving around a lot more :)

Offline mjohnson33

• Showing Appreciation 2
  • Cole
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2011, 13:46:08 pm »
Kara, what formula do you use for DD?  I was thinking about trying Similac this time around and trying the sensitive line.  Its supposed to be partially digested and low lactose.....I was using Emfamil Gentelease for fussiness and gas but he still has gas with the Nutramigen.  :)  The only difference with Nutramigen is DS usually poops in the morning before I give him the bottle with the miralax in it instead of after but its still pretty pasty.

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2011, 14:29:18 pm »
I use Nestle GoodStart :)  I had switched her to GoodStart2 (for 6 months +), but she got constipated on it in combination with solids so I went back to the basic GoodStart.  I used to use the one with DHA/ARA but actually find that it backs her up too... lots of research actually says that the DHA/ARA in formula can be harder for them to digest.

We have never had any problems with GoodStart - I would highly recommend it!