Author Topic: Is it really a dairy intolerance??  (Read 10704 times)

Offline mjohnson33

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
  • Cole
« Reply #45 on: September 13, 2011, 18:31:45 pm »
Still cheaper than $26 every 5 days for formula.  LOL  Ok, do you have Walgreens in Canada?? On their website its only $25 with free shipping for a months supply. I am ordering from there next time.  :) So you just put it in your DDs bottle??

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
Re: Is it really a dairy intolerance??
« Reply #46 on: September 13, 2011, 22:56:52 pm »
We don't have Walgreens... I think everything is cheaper in the USA :)  I miss living in Vancouver and just jumping across the border in under an hour!

I actually just put it on a spoon when I am feeding her breakfast ;)  Generally on top of her applesauce!

Offline mjohnson33

• Showing Appreciation 2
  • Cole
« Reply #47 on: September 14, 2011, 13:35:52 pm »
Ok, I put it in his bottle last night and again today, do you think that is ok?  I can do it another way.  Do you think he got any of it?

Also, he had a pretty restless night last night.  He was farting a little but not much....and didnt seem like he was in pain but just flopping around alot.  He kept rolling onto his back and thrashing....very restless....he did poop this morning but it was kinda thick....does this sound belly related?? I could only get him to drink 3 oz of his bottle this morning too.....I am so scared this is going to backfire on me and I am going to have to go back to Nutramigen.....
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 13:50:07 pm by mjohnson33 »

Offline mjohnson33

• Showing Appreciation 2
  • Cole
« Reply #48 on: September 14, 2011, 18:09:38 pm »
Kara with your DDs constipation and miralax, did she ever poop alot of water mixed in with harder stools?? My nurse practicioner told me that was normal but I really dont think it is!!!

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #49 on: September 14, 2011, 22:55:52 pm »
No, but that does sound like he is clearing a plug of sorts... If it continues to happen, I would go to the dr, but if it's only a few times, I wouldn't worry :)  Miralax is supposed to soften the stool he has, not work like an enema - which is what that sounds like.

I'm sure it's fine to put it in his bottle... 

Have you stopped the Miralax?? 

Offline mjohnson33

• Showing Appreciation 2
  • Cole
« Reply #50 on: September 14, 2011, 23:22:17 pm »
I haven't stopped the miralax yet. He does that water mixed pop at least once a week. I really hope things get better soon. Does last night sound like belly issues?

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
« Reply #51 on: September 15, 2011, 02:18:34 am »
This is a shot in the dark, but if he's pooping like that once a week..... if you're keeping track, is there a particular food he's doing it after? I'm wondering about grains, like gluten (wheat/grain protein) for example.

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #52 on: September 15, 2011, 04:27:35 am »
That is weird...

I would stick with the probiotic for a bit and then try to get him off the Miralax, or at least on a reduced dosage...

As for the night issues, that sounds like gas to me ;)

Offline mjohnson33

• Showing Appreciation 2
  • Cole
« Reply #53 on: September 15, 2011, 14:00:48 pm »
Deb, I will try to keep a better log of when he does it.  He usually does it while at the sitter.  I dont know if its related to gluten or wheat.  I usually give him oatmeal cereal everyday so doesnt that have wheat/gluten in it?

Kara, last night he did the same thing around 3am started tossing and turning so I gave him ibprofen and teething tablets and he slept good until about 6:45 so I am thinking its teething related!! :)

I am starting on full Good start tonight. I used all the nutramigen I had left today. I also emailed the probiotic people and they said as long as the bottles arent heated up past 80 degrees its fine to give to him that way.  This morning I gave it to him on a spoon plain and he HATED it!! LOL it must taste yucky! :)

Offline deb

« Reply #54 on: September 15, 2011, 14:02:58 pm »
Straight oatmeal doesn't have gluten in it, but if it's processed with wheat or if it's a cereal mix, it may well have wheat or gluten. Just something to keep an eye on, see if there's a connection.

Some probiotic mixes have little or no taste but the texture isn't agreeable. If you're giving it straight on a spoon as a powder it probably won't go over so well. :) you can try it yourself - it won't harm you at all. Just good bacteria for your gut too.

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #55 on: September 15, 2011, 17:59:15 pm »
Deb - the one she is using is in oil :)  Yucky!

I am putting the drops into a bottle nipple with a tablespoon of water and that seems to work too!  Just be sure he drinks it all since the probiotic seems to dissolve a bit into the water.

Oatmeal is generally cross contaminated with wheat so it does have gluten in it.  Barley also has a load of gluten in it.

I had a huge chat with my SIL yesterday about wheat/gluten/dairy intolerances... she has 3 kids with everything you could imagine when it comes to allergies/intolerance... 2 have celiac as well, with one being allergic to rice!  Yeesh!

She thinks Alexandra is intolerant to wheat (not gluten)... she gets killer diarrhea within hours of having a piece of WW toast... and tends to poop 5-6 times a day if she has had Cheerios/gerber puffs etc... all have wheat in them.  So I cut that all out yesterday and we got soft formed poops today... and only 3 poops yesterday.  If it is wheat, cut it out and you will see a change in a few days at most.

Offline mjohnson33

• Showing Appreciation 2
  • Cole
« Reply #56 on: September 15, 2011, 20:09:08 pm »
Cole never has runny poop!!! So I doubt its a intolerance. 

Kara, Cole has pooped 4 times already today and my mom said its getting watery!!! I think the probiotic is working!!! So do you think its safe to say I may cut down on the miralax tomorrow?

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #57 on: September 15, 2011, 22:26:58 pm »
I would give him another full day before reducing the Miralax - he could just be reacting to something new ;)

Offline mjohnson33

• Showing Appreciation 2
  • Cole
« Reply #58 on: September 16, 2011, 13:43:36 pm »
I only gave him 1/2 the dose this morning and will give him more this afternoon if I think he needs it.  before I was giving it all to him in the morning and after yesterday he has horrible diaper rash so I feel bad pumping him full of more miralax.  I am sure we are going to get this all figured out and he will be all healed from the constipation and then he is going to start teething..... UGH! :)

Offline deb

« Reply #59 on: September 16, 2011, 16:18:49 pm »
I'd keep up with the probiotics for now (although you can reduce the dosage if his tummy is having trouble adjusting at first). It can help reduce the incidence of yeasty diaper rashes as the gut flora re-balance.