Author Topic: What to eliminate first DF or 11am bottle?  (Read 1111 times)

Offline maka

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
What to eliminate first DF or 11am bottle?
« on: August 29, 2011, 18:42:26 pm »
Hi all, my DS is 6.5 months old and has been a problem eater due to reflux. He is currently taking 4 feeds per day with DF at night, with feeds ranging from 3 to 5oz. We have started on solids a bit older than 4 months and he is doing overall good. Lately, he started to fuss more than usual with one of his day bottles (either 11 am or 3pm). I know that 11am usually goes out first but I was wondering if it's still a bit too early to cut down to 3 bottles, especially since he is not getting that much formula during the day. Also, is it time to drop off the DF. He usually eats plus or minus at 7; 11; 3 and then 8 and dream feed around 11pm. Thanks

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: What to eliminate first DF or 11am bottle?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 18:45:55 pm »
How much is he getting in 24 hours now? How is the reflux being treated and what is his weight?

He is a bit young to drop to 3 bottles, if he is eating a lot of solids it would be better to cut the solids back a bit to see if that improves the formula intake before you drop any bottles.

Laura

Offline maka

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 19:01:18 pm »
Thanks Laura. He is eating anywhere from 18 to 24 depending on the day. The reason we decided to introduce solids earlier was due to the fact that he wasn't getting that much formula during the day. At one point he was feeding only when he was sleepy. As for his reflux he is on Pepcid 0.4 twice daily. 

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2011, 23:02:46 pm »
You need to cut solids down for sure.  Solids are only for learning before his first birthday and should not be a real source of nutrition at this stage.  You want to aim for a minimum of 24 ozs each day at his age... down to about 20 ozs minimum around 10 months when solids are very well established and provide balanced nutrition... then down to 12 ozs cows milk at one year.

Offline maka

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, 19:46:07 pm »
Thanks guys. I'm aiming for 24oz per day. We are currently working on eliminating the dream feed but definitely keeping 4 formula feeds. I don't want to cut down too much on DS solids because he seem to be enjoying it much better then formula feeds. I guess as long as we stay with 24oz per day until he gets a bit older we will be ok (he is gaining weight normally). thanks again everyone

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2011, 04:06:24 am »
It's great that he is enjoying the solids, but try to remember that they are only for learning before a year of age... as long as he is at the 24 ozs minimum, things are fine.  If he does drop below that consistently though, you do have to consider that solids are filling him up too much and it is very unlikely that he has a balanced diet to give him all he needs. 

I think you are right to get rid of the DF... he may start drinking more during the day as a result :)