Author Topic: Prune juice for 5mo?  (Read 1661 times)

Offline TashArnall

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: August 30, 2011, 21:33:18 pm »
I started my 5mo on organic brown rice cereal mixed with avacado and blueberries 5 days ago.....
since then her poos are little and seldom. They are much more solid than before.  I see her pushing and pushing, she's not upset, and then out comes a tiny poo.  Im always dissapointed that it's not bigger.
I've heard that rice cereal can be constipating for some babies. 
Is it ok to give prune juice to her? if so, how much for their little bodies?
Or should I drink it and she'll get it from my breastmilk?
thanks

Offline Lemonthyme

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
Re: Prune juice for 5mo?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011, 06:27:40 am »
Rather than give prune juice, I'd cut back on the cereal and increase the breastmilk.  Breastmilk contains a natural laxative which is why boobie fed babies have much squishier poos!  I started before 6 months to wean but there's no need to (I was desperate tbh because he wasn't sleeping but it didn't help!)

In the UK they also don't recommend wholegrains too early because it might go straight through them, although it sounds like that's not the case here!!!
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline TashArnall

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2011, 16:46:30 pm »
Ok, Im going to stop the rice cereal and just feed her avacado and whatever else I was mixing the cereal with and see if that helps.
thanks

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2011, 17:03:18 pm »
If you still want to offer cereal, go with oatmeal or barley :)  And only a small amount, focus more on the fruits/veggies :)

No banana either - can be very constipating :)

Offline Lemonthyme

• Mamacook
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2011, 18:07:01 pm »
In the UK, oatmeal and barley aren't recommended before 6 months because of the cross contamination risks with oat (as it's so common it's rarely gluten free) and barley contains gluten I think?

As I said though, I started before 6 months.  I just did veg purees though.
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2011, 22:38:17 pm »
I wasn't worried about the gluten, just that rice constipates and the other two do not.

So strange that every country has such different recommendations with introducing solids!  In the last year, Canada has removed all recommendations for restricting anything... Although, many doctors still support limiting things like berries, egg whites, and acidic foods like tomatoes, kiwi...   I don't limit Alexandra really, but I do use common sense... she hasn't had anything like fresh berries, tomatoes or citrus simply because of the common reaction many kids have to berries and because of the acidity of the latter two...

Offline Lemonthyme

• Mamacook
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2011, 06:29:24 am »
Yeah, there's a common reaction to tomatoes too.  It is difficult to know what to do because the recommendations change and differ so much country to country.  My son has eczema and it used to be recommended not to feed nuts until 5, then it was 3 (ground only to avoid choking) now there's no restriction but only give them a 'little bit' to start with.   Nuts also used to be banned when pregnant and breastfeeding.  It is crazy.

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2011, 17:38:32 pm »
So crazy!  We have the same thing with nuts here, but it was as high as age 7!  Good thing that there is no link to pregnancy and nuts etc... I lived on peanut butter for the first 2 months - it was one of the few things that didn't make me puke.