Author Topic: Due to do dairy trial soon - advice please  (Read 2533 times)

Offline rach321

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 29
  • My monkey boys.
Due to do dairy trial soon - advice please
« on: August 31, 2011, 19:53:31 pm »
LO is MSPI and is almost 10 months old, on our last paed appointment he recommended we do a dairy trial at about 12 months.
At the moment he is dairy and gluten free and his almost constant nasal congestion has improved along with his excema and stomach cramps.
I'm a bit nervous about the trial since we finally have him sleeping at night - only took 9 months and I really don't want to screw things up!
What should we introduce first? What quantity? Anyone been there done that and can give some advice?
Thanks.

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
Re: Due to do dairy trial soon - advice please
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011, 20:05:00 pm »
I'm a bit nervous about the trial since we finally have him sleeping at night - only took 9 months and I really don't want to screw things up!

I feel the same way about Spencer's intolerances...on one hand I want to find out what things she can tolerate now, but tbh I like the status quo!  Just because the paed. recommended it doesn't me you have to do it at 12 months, do it when you are comfortable and ready to deal with what may happen.   

The times I have done a trial I started with a few tbsp yogurt as then I would be assured that it wasn't the lactose causing the problems (being off dairy for so long, I figured the lactose would cause issues as it does for me when I go for long periods without dairy).  Haven't ever gotten past the yogurt stage though and we have so many other dietary things going on that it is on the backburner for now.
Heidi

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2011, 20:13:53 pm »
When are you going back to the Paed? Are they going to give you advice on how to go about it?

Offline lilisuze

• Showing Appreciation 46
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2011, 20:51:54 pm »
having done many milk trials (none have ever been successful with DS!) the best thing to try is plain milk. This was you know straight away if this is still an issue. Try a 2.5ml syringe one day, then if you notice nothing then 5ml the next. or mix it in cereal or however you like really.

I have not ever noticed symptoms again until about 3 days into the trial, so dont get your hopes up on the first day!

Any other questions, just post here!
Little dude (2008) spirited monkey boy
Little pink (2011) textbook princess

Offline ~*~Louisa~*~

• Mummy in need of a month of sleep... PLEASE!!!
  • Showing Appreciation 23
    • Cupcakes and storm clouds my blog
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2011, 09:30:34 am »
are you under a dietion? personally i would do it under guidence of a dietion

DD1 Angel/Spirited - Glue ear
DD2 Angel - MPI, Excema, Late talker
DD3 Angel - Milk,Soy, nut,egg intollerence, Saliciyte sensitivity, Reflux

Offline rach321

• My monkey boys.
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2011, 17:40:50 pm »
We are not due to see the paed again, we have been signed off since most of the issues resolved with the neocate and meds. We have weaned off the meds and were recommended a dairy trial at 12 months. Just wondered about the best way to go.

Offline firsttimemummy

• Showing Appreciation 62
  • gone to enjoy the little things in life (my boys)
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2011, 18:44:53 pm »
We did dairy-free trial with Murray and were advised to start off with dairy in products (eg biscuits), then try a spoonful of yogurt, then cheese, then eventually, milk.  Lots of people can tolerate some kinds of dairy depending on the intolerence (I am fine with everything except cold cows milk) ....

I would ask for a re-referral to the dietician as Neocate isn't really a long-term solution.
L x Having a bw break from 1 Feb 2012 - if you want to get in touch please send me a pm.  I may not be here but you are all in my thoughts xxxx (probably be back some time)

still happily married, just not counting!

Offline rach321

• My monkey boys.
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2011, 19:45:55 pm »
OK thanks - I will go back to GP when we get back off hols and see if we can get a referral to a dietician.

Offline firsttimemummy

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2011, 19:47:12 pm »
Good plan :)
L x Having a bw break from 1 Feb 2012 - if you want to get in touch please send me a pm.  I may not be here but you are all in my thoughts xxxx (probably be back some time)

Offline lilisuze

• Showing Appreciation 46
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2011, 07:04:59 am »
just so you are prepared, it can take months to get a dietician referral in the uk. Also most of them are completely clueless!
Little dude (2008) spirited monkey boy
Little pink (2011) textbook princess

Offline firsttimemummy

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2011, 07:37:13 am »
it can take months to get a dietician referral in the uk.
I think we were given a contact phone number not long after the referral and we didn't have to wait too long (maybe just lucky - in fact, I think we had  a appt that co-incided with his nap so phoned for a different appt and got a really quick one!! Keep phoning and asking if they have a cancellation ... or even a phone appt would do?).

Hope you get a good dietician - mine was useful about the dairy free trial/re-introducing but  no use for the other intolerences I was trying to figure out ....