Author Topic: We need some help with mealtimes please!  (Read 3938 times)

Offline <Catherine>

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 149
Re: We need some help with mealtimes please!
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2011, 09:14:53 am »
That's really interesting about the hunger thing. And you are definitely right. He is not waking from it. Last night he ate very little, was not really playing up, but messing with his food a bit and then decided he'd finished and was getting out of the chair. I asked if he wanted anything else, to which he will usually say he wants a yogurt or something (even if he has thrown his meal) and sit back down, but he said no so I just let him get down and that was it. He had his milk a bit later and then off to bed and no problems. I think he just wasn't very hungry.

I have taken his highchair down this morning. Partly to see if it helps with this, but also beacuse it co-incided with us needing to free up some space in the dining room :) He had his breakfast in his booster seat this morning which he was very pleased about, so maybe it will make him happier at mealtimes. Breakfast doesn't tend to be an issue these days so I can't yet say whether it helped with the throwing, he usually eats it all really well - probably starving due to the lasck of food at dinner time the night before! ;)

We do have 4 lovely 2yr molars doing their thing too.....could be related perhaps? They don't appear to be bothering him much at all though.
Catherine x

Offline ~Sara~

• Showing Appreciation 264
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2011, 13:27:17 pm »
We do have 4 lovely 2yr molars doing their thing too.....could be related perhaps? They don't appear to be bothering him much at all though.
I always think teeth can be behavior ninjas, sneaking up on us and LOs in unrecognizable ways.  Who knows?

Let us know how he does with his booster seat!!
*formerly tersaseda*

Offline <Catherine>

« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2011, 07:31:48 am »
Just an update :)

Things are better, he's eating more of a meal before any nonsense starts, and it's happening a LOT less now. And because he's usually eaten most of his meal I am now consistent in just removing the plate as soon as it starts. He still gets a dessert of some description if he wants it, as long as the nonsense doesn't continue there of course (it doesn't usually, other than last night when we were a hyper, OT, teething mess!).

I'm guessing the transition to the booster seat has helped.....just hope the novelty doesn't wear off! Thanks for your advice girls :)
Catherine x

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2011, 07:53:38 am »
Glad things are better! Good boy O!

Laura

Offline ~Sara~

• Showing Appreciation 264
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2011, 01:34:11 am »
Hooray!! :D
*formerly tersaseda*

Offline <Catherine>

« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2011, 07:21:41 am »
I may have spoken a tad too soon, yesterday's mealtimes were horrendous. His teeth are really causing trouble though, it's definitely having an effect on his behaviour - not really 'naughty', but completely hyper and everything requires a fight, yk? I'm guessing they are making it uncomfortable to eat too.

Not effecting his sleep though, other than making him sleep longer!!! :) What's that all about?!!! He's napping every day, for at least an hour and a half, sometimes 2.5 hours (!) and is sleeping at least 11 hours at night.....we had 12 hours the other night (I had to wake him for work!) and 12 hours last night!

His behaviour is of the 'OT' type, but how can he be so OT with all this sleep?! Anyway, I'm not complaining :)
Catherine x

Offline clazzat

• Showing Appreciation 286
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2011, 19:11:20 pm »
Those teeth do all sorts of crazy things, definitely including making them need more sleep - make the most of it! :P  It's not unusual to get ot-type behaviour with the molars, despite the fact that they are sleeping so much.

I would think that your best bet is to carry on being consistent with the rules but also be aware that this is going on.