Author Topic: Dairy vs soy  (Read 1210 times)

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Dairy vs soy
« on: September 01, 2011, 16:07:05 pm »
Help! I get in a muddle when planning Olly's diet about these things!

Soy is a protein right? So if you have soy in a meal is it acting as a protein or as a dairy substitute? ie tonight I am doing BN squash chips and was wondering what to go with it. Normally I would do a protein (a meat) and some veg. Only meat we have is chicken but Olly has had chicken three days running. I have some soy cheese but would this replace the chicken? I wouldn't consider veg and cheese a balanced meal for myself!

Hope that makes sense!

Offline deb

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
Re: Dairy vs soy
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 17:07:09 pm »
Soy is a protein but as a not-meat product it's not a complete protein. However, to complicate things, the protein in soy is similar to the protein in milk in the way the body reacts to it in many cases, so kids with dairy issues also have soy issues. Milk cheese, however, being an animal product, IS a complete protein - but not soy cheese.

BTW, a lot of soy cheese contains casein, so if you're using it to avoid dairy, that won't work. :(

Some people combine legumes and grains to get at least a relatively complete protein.

I can't remember what-all you're working around, sorry, but eggs are complete protein, and good fat/good cholesterol to boot. :)  (Nevermind, just read your note under your avatar. Duh, Deb! LOL)

This meal planning thing is SO HARD when you're getting started!