Author Topic: Always give solids 1 hr after milk?  (Read 1692 times)

Offline jay2yay

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 9
Always give solids 1 hr after milk?
« on: September 01, 2011, 18:06:56 pm »
Now that we've started solids, will there ever come a time when I give solids right after milk instead of an hour after? This makes running errands and such a little difficult if I have to stop and give DS solids.
Justine

Offline firsttimemummy

• Showing Appreciation 62
  • gone to enjoy the little things in life (my boys)
Re: Always give solids 1 hr after milk?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 18:26:32 pm »
I can't remember when but eventually the milk feed is replaced with a snack (but they often have a bit of milk at the same time to wash it down).  I think the idea of milk an hour before is to ensure they have a full milk feed and are just topped up with solids (rather than filled with solids) - so I *think* milk a wee while after solids is fine ...
L x Having a bw break from 1 Feb 2012 - if you want to get in touch please send me a pm.  I may not be here but you are all in my thoughts xxxx (probably be back some time)

still happily married, just not counting!

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 18:55:14 pm »
When we started solids at 5.5 months I felt like the entire day was spent feeding, preparing food, cleaning up after food and then dumping the food (via nappy) down the toilet :)  (oh and doing all that around his naps times). I started to think my child would be mentally and physically under-stimulated as there was zero time for playing left!  Two months on and although still giving milk then solids an hour later I have (somehow) found time to play with him, and we even get out the house to go to play group, visit nana, the shops and park.  Juggling it all does get easier with some time and practice.
It's also handy to have a few things in the fridge or freezer that you can take out as a picnic.  Today I wasn't sure we'd be home in time for DS's evening meal or not so I put some frozen home-made pancakes (recipe c/o lemonthyme aka mamacook and adapted with my own mix of fruit) in a tub and some dried figs in another.  By the time he needed to eat the pancakes had defrosted and went down a treat.  I don't think dried fruit needs chilling as such and it was just in an air tight container.  It also helps if you balance out LOs meals over a full day or week, so for example it didn't matter that his evening meal was fruit and carbs based because he had a vegetable and black eyed beans stew at lunch time and porridge and fruit for breakfast.
I promise it will get easier, you'll be a dab hand at it before long.

Offline jay2yay

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 23:34:52 pm »
Thank you ladies- okay that's good to know. Good tip on balancing meals over a full day, I think that will really help. And I assume in just a few months when he's finger eating will make things a bit easier too. :)
Justine

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2011, 04:06:38 am »
For sure it gets easier!  I agree that I felt all I did was feed DD either a bottle or solids all day!  When I wasn't feeding her, I was prepping the next batch!  After a couple of months, she was drinking a 6 oz bottle and eating a good amount right away at lunch time.  Funny enough, many babies will have their biggest meal at lunch time.  That made life a little easier.

Better yet, we dropped to 3 bottles at 9 1/2 months and now it is so much easier!  I make the majority of DD's food but use a jar of veg baby food when out and about for convenience :)  Just grab a zip top baggie, toss in a baby spoon and a moistened face cloth for clean up and throw the whole jar in the diaper bag :)

Offline jay2yay

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2011, 13:03:04 pm »
thanks Kara :)
Justine