Author Topic: Flavoured water  (Read 2859 times)

Offline mmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 96
Re: Flavoured water
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2011, 09:44:57 am »
I was in your shoes once and started offering diluted juice - I mean REALLY diluted fruit and veggies juice, with the lowest sugar content i could find.  This is what he drank for the past year.  Well, I am sad to say that it was staining/ decaying his teeth.  When the dentist explained to me that it is like a baby walking around drinking a bottle all day, I felt like an idiot, because obviously I wouldn't do that.  I explained that he wouldn't drink anything at all and she said he will drink when he is thirsty.  It took a couple of days for him to really drink water, but she was right.  Now he asks for it.

My point is, I wouldn't offer juice at this age.  i learned the hard way that it was a bad idea.  Fortunately, M's teeth are fine after a cleaning, but if I hadn't gone, he probably would have gotten a cavity.  He is also the most stubborn kid I have ever met and did give in to drink water when he was thirsty.

This time around with my 2nd LO, I am sticking to water.
Kara

Offline nwmm

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 61
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2011, 21:28:35 pm »
I snuck in extra water in my child's milk.  They always got the milk they required during the day.  Want to clarify this.  Just an extra way to get the water in and eventually enjoy it. 

Offline Annabelp

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: Flavoured water
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2011, 07:41:25 am »
Thankyou for the teeth comment. Was my initial worry. Am going to stick to water - you're right he will drink when thirsty
DS 3 years
DD 18 months