Author Topic: Question about tanking up / cluster feeding / dream feeding...  (Read 1452 times)

Offline londonlady

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 18
Question about tanking up / cluster feeding / dream feeding...
« on: September 02, 2011, 08:11:09 am »
Hi,

I am breast and bottle feeding but thought this question was best placed here - feel free to move if it is better off somewhere else...?

I've struggled with the tanking up / cluster feeding with my 10 week old DD. We've had such unsettled evenings that once she is down to sleep I am loathed to attempt the cluster feed at 8pm ish if we've been lucky enough to get her to sleep by then. Now it says to drop the cluster feeding about 8 weeks, but last night DD woke up at about 8pm, so I topped her up with the rest of her bedtime bottle, and some time on the breast, and after more fussing and a bit of a battle she went down to sleep about 9pm. DH dream fed her about 11pm which she never wakes for.

The upside of having an up and down evening was that I got more ounces into her and she slept through the night. She has done this a few times and it always seems to be the evenings where she has been up fussing. I thought this was because she was getting less sleep and had exhausted herself from crying for hours, but perhaps it is to do with how full her belly is as well...

So my question is - if she goes down to sleep between 7-8pm, has anyone ever tried "dream feeding" a cluster feed once they are off to sleep, and then doing a proper dream feed again at the usual time? I don't want to risk screwing up her evening sleep if we manage to continue to get her down because we have had nearly 10 weeks of horrible evenings and they just seem to be settling down. But it would be great to be able to tank her up so that she has a chance of sleeping through as she is clearly able to do it... I can't seem  to tank her up further before bed, she has her bedtime bottle and a short breastfeed. I guess it is probably a case of trying and seeing if it works but thought I'd see if anyone has done this before?

Thanks. xxx

Offline RachelC

• Girl Scout Extraordinaire
  • Showing Appreciation 865
Re: Question about tanking up / cluster feeding / dream feeding...
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 01:17:59 am »
Hi Rachel, sorry this got missed.

How are things going?

When my dd2 was growth spurting I would do a double dream feed.  Saying a baby *should* drop the cluster at 10 weeks is not set in stone.  If you need to continue clustering, by all means, cluster away  :)

Proud to have breastfed for a combined total of 35 months

Offline londonlady

• Showing Appreciation 18
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 07:21:39 am »
I tried it in her sleep, and annoyingly it affected her taking the dream feed which led to a horrible night. Weirdly, if she woke up herself, she would take more milk (about 8.30pm) and then still take a good dreamfeed... Bizarre... oh well, she's still not quite sleeping through but going til about 5am so can't complain too much.

Thanks. xx

Offline RachelC

• Girl Scout Extraordinaire
  • Showing Appreciation 865
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 11:52:18 am »
5am is fantastic.  I guess just roll with it, she'll drop it soon enough  :-*

Proud to have breastfed for a combined total of 35 months