Author Topic: 3yr won't eat  (Read 1096 times)

Offline Yolande2010

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: September 02, 2011, 17:51:59 pm »
My LO as always been a small eater but she ate until Yesterday morning, she will not eat anything no snacks, no meals absolutley nothing.  Took her to the doctors and all is good there, nothing wrong with her.  She sometimes will take a bite but then spits it out, I have had to put her on PediaSure a meal supplement and she drinks that ok as well as liquids.  When I ask her why she wont eat she just says she doesn't want to.  I am trying to be calm and not make an issue of these but frankly I am starting to loose patience.  How long can this last Doctor says about 3 days but I am VERY worried this will continue longer.  Anyone have any tips that can help me out  :(

Offline *Liz*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
Re: 3yr won't eat
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2011, 06:44:28 am »
I would give her a little more time. Maybe she is feeling unwell (just viral nausea type thing) and can't tell you properly? My 3 year old struggles to articulate feeling unwell still.

Does she have any mouth ulcers? That can make a young child stop eating - have a look if you can as bonjela will help that.

Try not to worry and try not to push her too hard - these 3 year olds love a good power battle  ::).

Hope you have a better day today. But try and be relaxed about it as it will help more overall. Perhaps a cuddle and a book about food, and let her choose something fun for a teddy bear picnic?

I would think she is coming down with something or got mouth ulcers though.

Offline lesliemarie

• Showing Appreciation 24
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2011, 14:35:50 pm »
This probably won't help at all but my cousin just mentioned something yesterday about crazy spaghetti dinner.  She has a 3 yo as well who doesn't eat a whole lot.  She has a table that has drawers at every seat and they put an odd utensil in each drawer such as a whisk, chopsticks, soup ladle, etc in it.  Then everyone chooses a seat at random and opens the drawer.  Then they have to eat the spaghetti with whatever is in it.  All three of her girls who are very picky/little eaters will eat much more on those nights.

If she isn't well that won't help but maybe the novelty of it will help get a little into her :)
My Little Monkey

My Little Sunshine

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2011, 15:38:35 pm »
A few months ago my DD1 stopped eating and claimed eveything was 'too spicy'.  Turned out like liz said that she has ulcers and they were all over the roof of her mouth.  Doctor said it was a virus.

How much fluids is she drinking?  I wouldn't make a big deal of it, just keep offering but I would be aware of how much she is drinking especially given she is taking pediasure as that will totally curb her hunger and if she's  small eater  anyway it will discourage her from eating if she's not getting hungry.

Offline Yolande2010

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2011, 00:45:06 am »
ok its been two weeks now and she is still not eating she has no fever and no illness going on. She is drinking Pedisure and is fine that way. Being trying to ignore it at the table but this is getting hard, have tried making animal shapes out of her food to make it fun and with no improvement. She will not eat at pre-school either.  I wish I knew how long this is going to go on for. I am bringing her back to the doctors to see what else can be done, I have run out of ideas....

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2011, 07:08:51 am »
Is the pediasure filling her up? If she has a small appetite it may not take much to fill her up and I'd say she will need to be hungry to eat.

How much pediasure is she drinking?

Offline skatty

• Showing Appreciation 352
  • My spirited girl
Re: 3yr won't eat
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2011, 07:25:11 am »
Do you think she could have reflux and doesn't know how to articulate it and it has made her scared to eat? 3yos can be very strong willed, my dd had an ear infection while we were on holiday and hated the medicine, we tried mixing it with everything we could think of and for the whole 2 weeks she only drank water she had seen come out of an unopened bottle! I think there must be some discomfort with eating and if she has always had a small appetite then maybe it is something that has been around a long time  :-\
Katt

Offline lilisuze

• Showing Appreciation 46
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2011, 07:32:09 am »
when DS has been ill, it has sometimes taken 2 weeks (or more) for him to be bothered eating. Usually, the doctor has found nothing obvious, but agree with mouth ulcer possibility, these can rumble on for a while! Could something have frightened her about eating? choked on a bit of fruit or somethign went down the wrong way?
Little dude (2008) spirited monkey boy
Little pink (2011) textbook princess