Author Topic: seriously - when will he eat veg??  (Read 1308 times)

Offline *Becky*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 255
seriously - when will he eat veg??
« on: September 03, 2011, 11:39:51 am »
Henry still will not eat veg..none at all unless it is hidden. I do hide them of course but there is not a single vegetable he will eat on its own. I put veg on his plate, he sees us eating it and I always ask him to try it. He does kind of try but if I push him to eat it he will literally gag so I just stop with getting him to try it. I don't get it, it has been forever and it makes me feel so bad. What can I do???

Henry James and Martha Rose - my spirited pair!

Offline Lemonthyme

• Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
Re: seriously - when will he eat veg??
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2011, 13:42:24 pm »
I reckon keep hiding it and keep offering without pushing it?
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline anna*

• Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2011, 13:59:13 pm »
Crazy idea but... what if you went veggie for a week or two? I mean if he's eating them hidden it's obviously not a taste thing. You could do things like crudites and dips for lunch (Stan won't eat many raw veggies plain but will if he can dip them), or a lovely courgette soup, pureed smooth with some cheese grated in (much more popular here if he can drink it from a cup - novelty factor). Veggie risotto or veggie curry for tea, something with all the bits cut up really small and mixed well together so there's less scope for picking bits out. If he doesn't eat it - no fuss, no pressure, just try again tomorrow.

Offline lesliemarie

• Showing Appreciation 24
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2011, 14:26:02 pm »
DD1 is 5 and I still have a really hard time with her and veg and strangely fruit as well.  I just keep trying and I have a rule where you can't say you don't like it until you've tried it.  So she will try it and then say I don't like it the instant it is in her mouth  :-\ 

I second what Anna said about the dip.  That works for so many kids.  Unfortunately mine doesn't like the dip either.   :P 

I've started to just tell DD1 that she has to eat what we're eating because she is going to be unhealthy and won't be able to play because she won't have the energy.  That at least gets her attention.  Then I've tried to tell her what I do when eating something I don't like.  She doesn't like cooked carrots and neither do I (they actually used to make me gag) but I know they are good for me.  So I told her that I don't like them either but since I know they are good for me I eat them.  I gave her two options to try out.  1. eat the stuff you don't like first and keep the stuff you do like until later so you end off with something you like.  2. put a piece of carrot on your fork and then a piece of something you like (meatloaf, pasta, etc) and then eat it together.  That way you still have the taste of something you like.  Option number 2 has been the winner for us.  It's very frustrating to have to do it but she is coming around fairly quickly.  I'm not sure if that would work with DS being so much younger though.

My Little Monkey

My Little Sunshine

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2011, 14:34:00 pm »
I've just had to take a stronger stance of veggies and fruit actually!  With the fruit I did yogurt for a dip and that worked well.    with veggies she has whatever sauce is with our dinner or ketchup.  But the rule is she needs to eat  2/3 pieces of the fruit/veggie.  She was not happy at all but its getting much better.  The other night she asked for MORE brocolli despite last week crying like a banshee because she had to taste it.  Only giving her the 2/3 bits really helps so its clear what she has to eat.  and then if she wants more she can have it.   But since i started being a bit stricter she is now eating 5 new fruits and 6 new veggies.  Makes life a lot easier.  I think seeing DD2 munching away on veg has helped too!

Offline lesliemarie

• Showing Appreciation 24
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2011, 14:38:22 pm »
I agree with Shiv.  I also do that.  She has to eat a certain amount and if she finishes that she can have something else or more of that.  She usually doesn't go for more veg but does eat what I set out.  The funny thing is the something else she usually wants is cheese or a cracker or and apple or something that isn't bad for her.  It makes it much easier when she knows clearly what she has to eat and that once she does she can have something else she likes more.
My Little Monkey

My Little Sunshine

Offline Lemonthyme

• Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2011, 15:07:41 pm »
I've also found if I cut things up differently sometimes he'll take them.  He would never eat green beans but once I cut them into <1cm lengths, he would eat them and seem to enjoy them!  Same with strawberries; would eat them quartered but not halved!  I reckon offer something, take it away if he doesn't eat it and leave it a while before offering again.  Maybe involve him in the shopping too?  Perhaps ask him to chose some fruit and vegetables?  If you have the option, that might be a nice idea to do every day.  Also although it's not the best time of year here (not sure where you are) it can be fun to get them to help you grow something.  You can grow cress on a windowsill all year round though and it's fast?
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/