Author Topic: Reduce solids bc last feed is reducing?  (Read 1097 times)

Offline jay2yay

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 9
Reduce solids bc last feed is reducing?
« on: September 07, 2011, 02:59:51 am »
Within the past 3 days, DS has voluntarily dropped the DF. Also within the last several days, I could tell he wasn't very interested in our last feed of the day. It's usually about an hour after his dinner which is between 5-6. Tonight I wasn't home so I had to leave a bottle of ebm with DH and it confirmed my observation - I left 6 oz and he only drank 3. Does this mean I should reduce solids?

His other feeds are great. His morning feed has gotten longer since he's dropped the DF and his second and third feeds are also normal...it's just the last one that I'm concerned about.

Depending on how our day goes, he'll have his afternoon feed anywhere between 3-4...then solids between 5-6 (it has been closer to 6 bc of the CN, but we're also dropping the CN so maybe it will help to do solids closer to 5)...then the last feed of the day is between 6:30-7:30.
Justine

Offline Lemonthyme

• Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
Re: Reduce solids bc last feed is reducing?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2011, 06:37:39 am »
I found similar and moved his teatime back to 4/4:15 and he then got interested in the last feed again.  Also teething can put them off so I'd try pushing teatime back and see what happens.  Interestingly though since I moved from breastfeeding to giving cow's milk at 13 months, my son is always less bothered about his bedtime milk than any other time.  It does make me wonder whether he just isn't as bothered about this feed.  When I was weaning him off breastmilk, it took a long time to drop the daytime feed and morning feed but he virtually dropped the bedtime feed on his own.  Still I would offer then though especially as he's only 6 months old, it just might be 'normal' for him to only take a small feed at that time of day. 
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline deckchariot

• Showing Appreciation 361
Re: Reduce solids bc last feed is reducing?
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 14:06:26 pm »
I'd move that last solids feed closer to his 3rd afternoon feed and further from the bedtime feed.  He's really young to drop that bedtime feed, and young to be on 3 solids meals a day.  Remember that his nutrition really needs to come from milk, not solids at this age.  I suspect the solids are just too close to that bedtime feed.
Michelle