Author Topic: problems changing diaper!!  (Read 2259 times)

Offline kit-twigglet

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
problems changing diaper!!
« on: September 08, 2011, 15:47:22 pm »
Hi, my dd is just one and has always been active. I am having real problems changing her nappy. I have tried having toys just when I change her, singing. Activity stand over her so she can look at that but nothing works ??? Has anyone got any bright ideas???
thanks ladies  :)

Offline lilisuze

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 46
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 15:49:07 pm »
hi there....its a stage, and it does pass. Can you use pull ups for wet nappies, then you can do it on the run. I always found that contraband items held DS's attention for longest...my keys/mobile phone/the remote control!!!!
Little dude (2008) spirited monkey boy
Little pink (2011) textbook princess

Offline kit-twigglet

• Showing Appreciation 0
Re: problems changing diaper!!
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 15:57:58 pm »
Hi lilisuze,
I've tried the mobile phone/keys which worked for a few days. Now she just throws them! I use cloth nappies. I even bought pocket nappies as I thought it would be easier!!

Offline kayra

• Showing Appreciation 60
  • 2 for 1!!
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2011, 17:19:42 pm »
there was a stage when I literally had to pin DS down to change his nappies, i'd sit infront of him and put my legs over his arms so he couldn't roll off. I know it sounds awful but he wouldn't be crying or anything, just relatively immobile, and I'd be as quick as possible of course, talking to him etc the whole time. Changing it while he was standing sometimes worked but even then he had to be entertained by something or he'd be walking off-and at the end of the day you can't change a pooey nappy when they're standing!

Our angel Victor 06.11.10  We miss you, but look forward to the day we will see you again my love 1Cor. 15
Angel, April 2011

Offline firsttimemummy

• Showing Appreciation 62
  • gone to enjoy the little things in life (my boys)
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2011, 17:55:29 pm »
i find a combination of a play-arch over their head (ours is plastic and only the arch so it can sit over the changing mat; it plays music too), talking to them about what you are doing and singing songs usually works ....
L x Having a bw break from 1 Feb 2012 - if you want to get in touch please send me a pm.  I may not be here but you are all in my thoughts xxxx (probably be back some time)

still happily married, just not counting!

Offline kit-twigglet

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2011, 03:10:50 am »
Hey Kayra,
thanks, i'll try this ! tried changing her on my lap, (i'd read somewhere that this worked) well it didn't ;D

Offline kayra

• Showing Appreciation 60
  • 2 for 1!!
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2011, 11:13:00 am »
yeah, I think when they're 1 they're too big and too active to be changed on your lap.
all the best! :)

Our angel Victor 06.11.10  We miss you, but look forward to the day we will see you again my love 1Cor. 15
Angel, April 2011

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2011, 07:34:25 am »
Of there is one direction that LO usually rolls in to make the escape focus on keeping the opposite leg down because they have to put that up and across to be able to roll don't they?  DS has only just started to make the escape and atm I can talk him into going into relaxed mode again much of the time (sure that won't last long!!) but when he is determined I trap (gently!) the leading leg.  Often I sit on the floor, at his feet end (not side on) and I have my legs out in front of me (like a 'V' shape) one either side of DS.  If really necessary I can trap a leg (or both!) underneath my legs leaving me hands free.  It's nice an soft for his calves by my ample thighs :) so I know he isn't getting hurt.  It can just give you that few seconds to fasten the nappy.

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2011, 23:27:04 pm »
I have had a baby that battles me for bum changes for the last few months :)  I have found that the TV works best for distraction ;)  Not ideal, but at least we don't have poop flying around the room ;)

Offline speechie

• Showing Appreciation 303
  • 7 years of spirited bliss!
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2011, 23:47:05 pm »
I remember putting stickers on my face and having Nick pick them off during diaper changes, he loved that! Maybe putting some stickers on fingers, your face, etc. ? Something fine motor that she can't fling?
Cathie
                Nick spirited angel, born August 2, 2007

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2011, 03:40:28 am »
LOL!  Great idea Cathie!

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2011, 07:07:15 am »
I use cloth with DD and it is harder !!

TBH if needs must I hold her chest and she screams  ::), not nice, but neither is a dirty nappy and a sore bum from infrequent changes.

I sometimes let her have a nappy free run in the middle as that cheers her up - she thinks it is very funny  :).

Offline kit-twigglet

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2011, 15:41:09 pm »
Thanks ladies, she seems to have settled down for most of the time :)) I like the sticker idea, thanks!!