Author Topic: More milk in day!! How???  (Read 2629 times)

Offline kirstym

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: September 09, 2011, 13:23:15 pm »
My DD is nearly 10 months and I think she is teething as we have started to have NW! How can I up her intake in the day if she refuses it altogether? A few weeks before I thought she was having a gs but this lasted over 10 days of waking in night! So now I don't know if I have AP? I hope not what can I do? Shall I feed her in the night or try and let her settle without bottle?

Thank you

Offline *Kara*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
Re: More milk in day!! How???
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011, 17:32:39 pm »
If she is teething, you might be better to just feed her when she wakes during the night if she refuses during the day.  I found that when my DD is teething and refuses to eat (which is rare, luckily), she will wake during the night over and over until I do feed her... it's just easier to accept that she is waking from hunger, give her a bottle and let her go back to sleep with the least disruption possible.

Have you tried rubbing a numbing gel on her gums about 10 mins before bottle time? 

Offline kirstym

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2011, 18:34:57 pm »
Hi thank you. She wakes at various times , I will feed her when she wants it then her bedtime bottle an hour ago I struggled but managed to get 3oz down her! So will see when and how much she takes when she wakes up next and I will try putting gel on he'd gums ty

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2011, 18:36:08 pm »
How is she doing with solids at the moment?  Any refusal with them?

If so, she could be constipated...

Offline kirstym

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2011, 19:53:48 pm »
Hi no she is with her solids? Although breakfast she doesn't really eat a lot! But again today her first bottle she only drank 4 oz and then her next 3oz and I thought she would drink all her bedtime one but after 4 ozs she kept pushing the bottle away!

I'm so confused in why she is nit having a lot during the day when do they start having just a morning and bedtime bottle?

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2011, 22:52:01 pm »
They generally drop from 3 to 2 bottles around 11 months...

Is she still night waking?  If so, are you feeding her?

Offline kirstym

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2011, 06:13:50 am »
Hello recently the last 4 nights she wakes anywhere from 10.30 to 12.30 fir a bottle and she will drink a full bottle and I feed her shall I try not feeding her then? And again this morning she only wants 4oz?? I'm really worried that this has become a habit and u can't understand why she doesn't want more milk?

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2011, 17:24:27 pm »
Hmm, how much is she taking in total each 24 hours?

If she is getting at least 24 ozs, I would stop with the night feeding and resettle her another way.  It sounds like it has become a habit and because she takes the calories at night, she doesn't need them during the day.  She is old enough to not have a night feed and I think you are going to have to teach her to STTN without it.  As well, she is old enough that you won't have to worry if she doesn't eat well for a few days while she adjusts to the no NF's.

Offline kirstym

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2011, 04:46:06 am »
She is only having 4oz each feed is on 3 bottles a day and her 3 meals?? She just pushes the bottle away and when I try feeding her a little more she gets frustrated and upset!! It's really taking it's toll on me with her NW I'm tired as I can't just fall back to sleep ohhh what to do??

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2011, 04:34:50 am »
You need to cut solids.  She isn't taking enough formula right now.

Offline kirstym

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2011, 09:54:51 am »
Ok so really cut back on her meals! Do I just reduce the amount at each meal? Thank you. she woke again last night at 11.30 and had a full bottle 180ml and then this morning at 7am only had 4oz the rest made up in her in porridge x

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2011, 18:10:14 pm »
Could you post when you feed and how much for bottles/solids now? 

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2011, 20:30:08 pm »
Sorry Kara, I think I disagree with cutting back on the solids.

She's taking 11 or 12oz in milk from a bottle (excluding the night feed), there is likely another 3 or 4oz in the breakfast cereal (as it is made up from the remainder bottle that hasn't been taken) bringing day milk up to approx 16oz.  The recommended daily requirement is 18 - 20oz so she is only a little under and this can be made up in dairy solids quite easily.  Cheese sauce, yogurt (on it's own or mixed in a curry etc), custard, rice pudding, cream cheese on sandwiches or rice crackers etc.

Having a similar thing happening with DS (8 months taking 9oz per day) I was worried about offering too much cheese because of the salt level.  I've looked into low sodium dairy foods.  Ricotta and mascarpone are good options as they are low sodium, mascarpone is a bit of a pain as once opened it will only keep one day, ricotta though will keep three days.  A dollop of that put into the solids (spinach and ricotta pasta?) or with fruit or on it's own would go a long way to making up the lost couple of ounces.

As this LO is 10 months she is approaching the point where solids are increasing and come 12 months we will be looking at max amounts of milk (rather than minimum amounts of milk) so that LO is encouraged to get a good amount of solids in.  I think if LO has a good and improving relationship with solids at this point, cutting back could be detrimental to the long term food relationship.  We can't expect our LOs to switch their milk/solids preference overnight at the age of one year, it should be natural and gradual.
Advice is that between 9 and 12 months to make up for slightly lower milk intake through dairy solids.
http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=67569.0

One of the reasons to ensure a good amount of milk (formula) is that it contains all the required vitamins.  If the milk intake is near ok LO will be getting enough vitamins in the milk plus solids (I trust a good healthy variety are being offered and eaten as kirstym says solids intake is fine).  If the milk drops substantially more and there is a question over vitamins then daily vit drops could be considered (but usually that would be substantially lower milk or a poor solids diet).

I am assuming here that LO's weight is good and following an even increase.

As for the large milk at night, I tend to think it was APed and now habitual and it is perhaps the only time when her tummy is empty enough to take that amount of milk.  She really shouldn't need that milk so I agree to re-settle at NWs and there's a chance she will increase the day milk.

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2011, 22:29:30 pm »
I agree that the milk intake could be fine if she is doing well with solids like your DS, Creations... but it doesn't sound like she is taking solids well either at this point.  Hence, why I asked for a complete food/formula diary.

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2011, 22:52:27 pm »
OK.  Some confusion there on the solids as I read it that solids were ok but breakfast wasn't too big.
Agree that looking at the whole solid/milk intake is needed.

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2011, 22:56:54 pm »
I know - I went back to double check about solids intake as well... not much info so far ;)