Author Topic: Starting Solids Tomorrow  (Read 1336 times)

Offline RLM

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: September 11, 2011, 04:42:36 am »
I am pretty excited! I am going to be starting my little guy on solids tomorrow! My brother bought me the Baby Bullet and I have just finished making some baby meals for my little guy. I think he will start on Bananas! I hope everything goes well.
Any Advice?

Offline ZacsMumme

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
Re: Starting Solids Tomorrow
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2011, 20:15:52 pm »
Good luck and patience is key :)

Some foods that are nice and gentle on the tummy are ripe pears, pumpkin and apples.

I was surprised at how little they need to start with so don't be surprised if your LO has a teaspoon or two and is done. How old is your LO?

Oh..and you probably know this...but their BM change (for the worse!), esp if you are used to BF ones :P
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline deckchariot

• Showing Appreciation 361
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2011, 23:40:53 pm »
bananas can be constipating, so I'd be careful there.  We just started a couple weeks ago with apples, the avocados, and she had plums today.  Do one food for at least 3 days to see if there's any reaction allergy-wise before you introduce a new one.  We do only at breakfast time, and 1 hr after a bf.  Milk is still primary til they're a year.
Michelle

Offline Lemonthyme

• Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 06:22:53 am »
Introduce a range of flavours but don't worry if he doesn't like things, offer them again later.  Check with your health care advisor on what things to introduce when, advice seems to vary by country!  And relaaaaax.  It's not a race!  It can be frustrating when they won't eat but remember taking your baby out gets a lot harder when you have to take food along!

All people do it differently but I started with one meal at around 10am then gradually introduced a second around 3pm and took my time getting to three meals.
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline RLM

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 02:45:38 am »
Thanks everyone for your comments.
The first day went well and so did today. I am feeding him only once per day around 11:00 am. I am planning on introducing a new food every 4 days so the next one flavour is pears then I want to try sweet potatos after that. ZacsMumme, you were right about the BMs. They are way worse now :)   
How long should I wait before I try 2 meals per day?
Cheers

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2011, 04:31:17 am »
Sounds like things are going well!  It's so much fun to see them exploring new tastes/textures!

We got to 2 meals after a month or so, then another month or so to get to three meals :)

Offline deckchariot

• Showing Appreciation 361
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2011, 16:30:36 pm »
We started solids about 3 weeks ago and have just added a 2nd meal.  Plan to wait another 3ish weeks before adding a third.
Michelle