Author Topic: confused about milk for a 1 year old  (Read 1224 times)

Offline choc

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« on: September 11, 2011, 14:46:16 pm »
I am still confused about giving milk to my ds when he turns 1 next month!  At the moment he has 3 bottles.  I have started to introduce a morning snack too. 
This is what I am thinking of doing, does it sound ok or not?

Give his morning milk in a cup with his breakfast?  At the moment he has formula then breakfast an hour later.

Stop the afternoon bottle and give a snack and cup of milk instead?

Keep bedtime bottle for now, but eventually transfer to a cup and have it in the dim light in the bedroom with a story.  At the moment he has a bottle in the dark (no story).

Is this ok or am I overthinking it?!  I feel wierd taking away the afternoon bottle as I spent so long worrying about his low milk intake when he was younger!
Gemma

Offline Texomamama

• Showing Appreciation 15
Re: confused about milk for a 1 year old
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2011, 20:43:07 pm »
DD2 just turned a year last week, and I am about to make this change as well.  Like yours, she is still on 3 bottles (6 oz each).  I have decided to first transition to milk in the bottle, by slowly replacing an oz of formula for an oz of milk until it is all milk over the course of a couple of weeks.  Then, I will tackle the issue of the bottle versus sippy cup.  I want to get her used to the taste of the milk first.

However, just in the past day or two, she has taken to grabbing the bottle out of my hands and holding it herself, but only after spending 5-10 minutes playing games with it, turning it upside down and letting it drip etc.  If she keeps that up, the bottle is going to disappear cold turkey, I think.

Only thing I keep waffling on is whether to keep that mid day bottle or drop it right away and replace with milk in a sippy and a snack, like you are considering.  She really loves that mid day bottle....

Offline Khalam's Mama

• Showing Appreciation 123
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2011, 20:50:30 pm »
Have you tried just giving the CM? I found Ds just drank it no problem and never had to bother with a slow transition.

Ideally bottles should be gone by 1yo completely so I would definitely make the switch to a cup. With the bottle for BT bear in mind that (assuming you lo has them) teeth should be brushed after the bottle so having it in bed with the story in the dark may mean he has to come back out or do this after somehow and is best to get that in the routine asap.

After 1 you need to be careful they don't keep up with too much milk as it can reduce their solid intake and hence other vitamins. 2 cups a day is ok so I would get rid of the afternoon milk completely. Morning milk with breakfast sounds fine.

Offline MadisonC

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • my loves xo
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 00:43:23 am »
When DS turned 1 he had already been on cow's milk for 1 week and was taking a morning bottle and night time bottle.  At 12.5 month I replaced the morning bottle with milk in a sippy and he didnt even care.. he also has milk in a sippy with meals and water throughout the day.  He is 13 months and still takes 7-9 of milk oz in a bottle at bedtime.