Author Topic: Goats cheese ok for MPI?  (Read 2142 times)

Offline lesliemarie

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 24
« on: September 11, 2011, 15:04:33 pm »
DD2 is MPI and recently I've tried introducing little bits of dairy (cheese, yogurt, etc) and after two weeks has had much more loose stools.  Not terrible but since cutting it out a week ago they have gone back more or less to normal solidness.

Anyway, enough of the poop talk.  She really enjoyed having cheese in her foods so I was wondering if I could try goats cheese or feta or something like that.  Any thoughts?
My Little Monkey

My Little Sunshine

Offline clazzat

• Showing Appreciation 286
Re: Goats cheese ok for MPI?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2011, 16:18:10 pm »
I have manage to eat both goats cheese and feta without it upsetting ds, but obviously that is slightly different from him eating it directly.

If you are in the uk you can also try the lactofree range - they don't have lactose which is the most common cause of mpi, and you can get milk, cheese and yoghurts which all taste like regular yoghurts - they have been a life saver for me!

Offline beckygatt

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2011, 16:19:45 pm »
Goats milk is much easier to digest and different to cows milk so I would think goats cheese would be ok...

Offline lesliemarie

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2011, 17:08:20 pm »
I"m not in the UK but I may be able to find the lacto free.  It's funny because she was much better on the reduced lactose formula when she was very tiny and the full lactose was hell on her system.  I haven't even thought of trying the lactose free cow's milk stuff.  I may try that as well.

Isn't normal cheddar or mozzarella fairly low in lactose anyway?
My Little Monkey

My Little Sunshine

Offline clazzat

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2011, 17:54:58 pm »
Don't know about mozzarella but cheddar upsets my ds and used to upset dd2, although she is growing out of it now. She's always been fine on goats cheese, btw, but won't eat feta because it tastes too strong, I think.

Offline lesliemarie

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2011, 17:58:58 pm »
OK.  That is positive.  I love cheese (my grandfather was a cheesemaker) so I'm going crazy trying to cook without cheese and milk and butter :(  So have you managed a macaroni and cheese recipe without cheddar?  Not sure I can make it with anything other than a cheddar like cheese (mozzarella, colby, havarti, etc).  I'm just concerned that I can't find lactose free cheese or that it will cost me a fortune.  I'm seriously considering making my own mozzarella using lactose free milk :)
My Little Monkey

My Little Sunshine

Offline clazzat

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2011, 18:03:00 pm »
Haven't managed macaroni cheese yet - sadly, as I adore cheese!  Let me know if you find something that does work!

Offline lesliemarie

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2011, 18:54:35 pm »
I will.  Not sure how it would work with soy milk or oat milk.  I have used a recipe that just uses a cup of uncooked pasta, a can of tomato soup and a cup of shredded cheese.  It is a different mac and cheese but still good.  :)
My Little Monkey

My Little Sunshine

Offline ~*~Louisa~*~

• Mummy in need of a month of sleep... PLEASE!!!
  • Showing Appreciation 23
    • Cupcakes and storm clouds my blog
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2011, 21:18:23 pm »
if its mpi not lactose goats milk will probabaly be a problem the protiens are very simular

DD1 Angel/Spirited - Glue ear
DD2 Angel - MPI, Excema, Late talker
DD3 Angel - Milk,Soy, nut,egg intollerence, Saliciyte sensitivity, Reflux

Offline lesliemarie

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2011, 21:47:16 pm »
OK. Maybe I'll try lactose free cheese/yogurt and see if we get the same problem again.  If not then I guess it's the lactose.  If not I guess it's the protein.  I really wish I knew for sure.  They annoying thing is that the only symptom she seems to be getting is the gradually more mushy poops.  Her sleep is crap too but it is always crap so not much of an indicator  :-\
My Little Monkey

My Little Sunshine