Author Topic: Probiotic contents  (Read 2605 times)

Offline kim&savannah

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 80
Probiotic contents
« on: September 13, 2011, 14:25:54 pm »
This question is mainly aimed at the ladies on here who have done the RPAH or another strict ED.  I'm looking at Udo's Choice infant probiotics for Henry and it looks like they are ok, just want to make sure that maltodextrin and ascorbic acid are okay to give him.  I can't see those on the list of problem additives, but I don't want to make the mistake of getting the wrong one again.

Thanks! 
~Kim

Savannah,  6/04
Abraham,   11/06
Henry, 5/8/11

tigerlilly905

Re: Probiotic contents
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 18:12:18 pm »
humm, my beef would be with Maltodextrin http://www.buzzle.com/articles/maltodextrin-dangers.html

I would probably stay clear from it.. but I'm not an expert.. :-\

Offline kim&savannah

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 18:29:09 pm »
Ag!  This is such a pain!  I really want to find one locally so I don't have to deal with the issues that can come up with shipping, but WHY do they put so much junk in everything?  I'd looked at maltodextrin on Wikipedia and they made it sound much less problematic on there. ::)

I thought I'd found a place locally that sells the BioGaia one, but they didn't have it.  May have to check other locations.

What about the Culturelle?  Do you know anything about those?  Sorry I'm using all your research, Rebecca!  I just feel so overwhelmed and have spent SO much time reading about the diets and food allergies in general, its sucking up all my time.  And we have to go to the ped. on Friday and I feel all this pressure to have my ducks all in a row before I talk with her about this.  Henry is so low weight that I'm worried this may be it for us.  DH is already talking formula--we're both pretty worried about H, but I REALLY don't want to give up BFing.  That is going to be a tough pill for me to swallow.  But I really need to see something that seems hopeful!
~Kim

Savannah,  6/04
Abraham,   11/06
Henry, 5/8/11

tigerlilly905

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 00:15:59 am »
It's a really, really tough call hun. ((hugs))!! Have you talked to Michelle at all? (deckcheriot) - I know they had lots of trouble w/ Katie's digestion at first too and was very strongly pressured by her ped. to give up bf'ing. It's my understanding that she was able to stick with it... but I don't know her whole story.

Back on topic, Culturelle... hum.. I do remember reading about them, but I can't remember why I didn't go with that brand. I'll do a quick google. Right, I remember, Mannitol - it's a diuretic. :-\ You don't need to bog yourself down with particulars so don't bother reading the link, but if others are following, this is what wikkipedia says about Mannitol http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mannitol

I know. This S.U.C.K.S.!!! It's taken me months to find the right probiotic for Arthur. I know I mentioned Biogaia to you. Well, after trying Arthur on it for a week, he started to get constipated again. In comparing it to the other Probiotic we were using with a lot of success (Klaire Labs), Biogaia doesn't even half half the amount of probiotic cultures Klaire Labs does - so I believe Arthur really needs the higher potency. I've started him back on Klaire Labs Infant Probiotic and he's not constipated anymore. Go figure. I'm actually going to order more tonight.

Just as an aside, I know you are really trying hard to stick to RPAH diet - are you keeping up your fats?  Babies REALLY need that good fat from Mama milk.  For the short time I did a low Sal diet I made sure I ate Salmon every single day. And even though they aren't considered the "best" fats, I did sneak in Canola, Sunflower and Safflower oil whereever I could. TBH, the lack of good nutrients and fats was my main reason for switching to GAPS. But I know many have had success w/ RPAH.

Also, if you are sticking with the low Sals, have you tried making your own chicken broth? So - boiling chicken bones (preferably organic) for approx 2.5-3hrs - and leaving in ALL the fat that accumulates. That fat is essential for good intestinal health believe it or not, and although Henry won't be getting it directly, the fats will go into your BM.  Chicken broth would be low Sal, esp. if you were making it yourself. I know you are probably bogged down with info, but the Nourishing Traditions cookbook we talk about on the RPAH thread has all the info about it (and GAPS believes this principle as well).

I wish I knew what else to suggest. Keep at the probiotics. Esp. if you have to go to FF. In this situation, they are essential regardless if you are BF'ing or FF (IMO). Just stick to what you believe. If you want to BF, I believe there's ways to making it work. Have you contacted your local LLL leader? Ours here is a tremendous source of support and advice. I know many Dr's aren't very well versed in this sort of thing, and it's so, so hard. I've found it so frustrating, but I'm sticking with what I believe, and we are seeing progress, even though its slow. Again, I'm not a Dr. Things still aren't perfect here but they are much, much better. I expect this to take a while, but for us this is what's working. xooxoxoxxoox :-* :-*

Offline kim&savannah

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2011, 01:01:16 am »
Rebecca--Thank you so much for all your advice and support through this.

I found the Biogaia today (finally realized that I should ask around on my local mom's forum and someone knew where I could find it here) so we're going to try that one for now.  Hoping that it works for us.

I haven't made my own broth yet, but plan to.  First of all, I've been nervous about the chicken I'm eating because it isn't "fresh" enough, but we did roast a whole chicken (organic, but just the typical one from the store, so I'm sure it was older than the 2 weeks RPAH recommends) last weekend and I'd planned to make broth after dinner, but while I was putting Henry to bed, DH deboned the chicken and threw away the carcass.  He felt so bad when I realized what he'd done and almost started to cry, LOL.  I've been really emotional about food lately.

So, salmon is supposed to be high in amines--I haven't chanced it, but maybe I should.  I use safflower oil on things, and I've made myself eat a lot more food in general the last 2 days.  I did lose a lot of weight the first 2 weeks, so I suppose that means I wasn't eating enough.  It's just hard to get excited about eating the same foods every day.  And since I still have some weight to lose, I wasn't too upset about the loss.

We are getting a fresh chicken on Sat., and DH knows that I need the bones this time :)  I usually make broth after we roast a chicken, but I guess it had been awhile since I made one, so he just wasn't thinking.

Too bad avocado is so high is SALs--I could easily eat one of the those every day :)

And as far as the BFing goes, I'm not giving that up without a fight.  That is REALLY important to me.  I'll wait and see what the ped. says on Friday, but because I will only be at 3 weeks into this at that point, I'm going to tell her I want another week to see what changes occur.  And to see how the probiotic affects him, before we take any drastic measures.  He isn't listless or upset or anything to indicate that he's on the verge of being very sick.  I'm worried about his weight and this stubborn mucous, but really, he's a very happy baby with tons of wet and poopy diapers who keeps getting taller every month, sleeps pretty well, and seems to be meeting the normal milestones from what I can tell.

Thanks again for the help.  It really is nice to have a support group in this.  I only have one friend IRL who has gone through something like this and understands just how hard it can be to just not know what is hurting your baby.   
~Kim

Savannah,  6/04
Abraham,   11/06
Henry, 5/8/11

tigerlilly905

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2011, 01:33:21 am »
Oh YAY! Glad you found it. Arthur did tolerate the Biogaia quite well... Like I said, I'm just not sure it was enough good bacteria for him, kwim? Klaire Labs has 10 billion cultures per dose, Biogaia has 100 million. I was surprised when he got constipated again, and the only change was the probiotic.. so who knows. Maybe if Henry tolerates the reg. dose well you could give him an extra drop or so?

I know this is Off topic, but I know Salmon is Mod Sals (not sure about amines), and Eloise was actually the one who suggested it to me. She did all low sals and one moderate sals meal per day to get to baseline while bf'ing. I would PM here if I were you, she has great advice. LOL about avocado, I'm totally eating a whole one everyday :P When I was doing RPAH I lost a lot of weight too.. 6 lbs in one week :o and when I pumped, my milk was definitely less fatty...

Maybe you can be sure to eat the fat from the meats you are consuming too.. and try and eat chicken thighs ect. Animal fats are actually very good for us, from a whole foods perspective.

I'm eating a tonne of fats with GAPS and not gaining any weight (not that that matters at this point) But my milk is back to being very rich again.

You're doing amazing!!! :D Keep at it! Henry, Savannah and Abe are lucky to have such a caring Mama!! :) xo

Offline Love, laughter, & PJs

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Formerly kmk512
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2011, 02:59:06 am »
Just wanted to add some more hugs and support.  You're doing so well.  I hope you don't get too much pressure from the pedi on Friday.  I agree with Rebecca about the fats.  I know it's hard with the crzy diets we're all on, though! ::)  You can do it.  :-*
*Kate*

hrk

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2011, 12:08:34 pm »
Just another thing to add about the salmon (if you live in the states); try to stick to wild alaskan or those from canada.  Farmed can be higher in pcb's.  If it isn't one issue, it is another. 

I should look at Bioagia.  I think I have heard of it, but can't be sure.  I am going to keep an eye out for it.

I am wondering about the probiotic we used, but will likely gear up with them more.  I have been recently just relied on yogurt for H and I.  We used the jarro dolphus.  Is this one problematic if you take away the coating?  The gi told me just to open the capsule and add half to H's food.  It has dairy and soy, but we were no longer dairy/soy free. 

Just thinking now that the coating may be needed to make it through much of the digestion process?  Hmmm...if so, then of course all the probiotics H would not have made it to where they need to go...but yogurt isn't "enteric coated". Any thoughts on that?

http://www.jarrow.com/product/394/Jarro_Dophilus_EPS