Author Topic: Getting my LO to consume more calories in the day is a no go  (Read 894 times)

Offline snowbird

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 26
  • LJ
Getting my LO to consume more calories in the day is a no go
« on: September 14, 2011, 21:19:35 pm »
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone else has the same problem that I do? Tracy often talks about getting LOs to take the calories they take in the night (or at a dreamfeed when weaning it) during the day instead.  She talks about 'giving them an extra ounce at each feed' etc. 

Now I give my LO an 8 oz bottle at each feed and she takes as much or as little as she wants - this can range from 3.5 to 8 oz.  If she only wants 4oz, that is all she is going to take.  She tightly closes her lips and nothing is getting in! Which is fine by me - if that's all she wants, that's all she wants.

I've been on a perfect 3 hour EASY with no nfs and a df at 10.45pm.  Over the last 5 weeks I've been moving to a 4 hour EASY and it's gone horribly wrong.  I'm now doing a nf on occasions (between 3.30 and 5pm) but don't understand how I could possible get her to take this in the day.

Am in the process of sorting my EASY and am hoping this will automatically sort itself out.  However, I am wondering how I am going to faze out thr df in a couple of months.  Just shorten it, oz by oz, and hope she take  it in the day as a result!?

Just wondered if anyone else has this? Surprising that is never crops up in any of the bw books!!

Snowbird xxx

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Getting my LO to consume more calories in the day is a no go
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 21:52:03 pm »
Hi snowbird.  I know Tracy says to add the oz the day before taking away the DF oz but I think the idea is that LO will catch up with the milk the day following missing it.
You're right that you can't force her to take it, but you can offer it.  Some babies drain bottles so the parent needs to plan to increase what is offered to ensure LO has the opportunity to take it (and I suppose those that drain bottles may well just take an extra oz the day before a DF reduction)
I've been mulling weaning the DF for the last month or more so have had the same thoughts etc

http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=54662.0

But everything changes once they start solids (if you haven't already) at 6 months so chances are she wouldn't be having the same milk she is now anyway.

Offline snowbird

• Showing Appreciation 26
  • LJ
Re: Getting my LO to consume more calories in the day is a no go
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 07:51:51 am »
Thanks creations - yes, that's what I thought xx