Author Topic: When can I stop "testing" out new foods?  (Read 1656 times)

Offline kjr928

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
When can I stop "testing" out new foods?
« on: September 15, 2011, 01:01:30 am »
Hi!

My DD is 7.5mo and she's been on solids for about 2 months. She's had most of the basics (rice, oat, barley, multigrain cereals; squash, carrots, string beans, peaches, apple, pears, mango, peas, spinach, sweet potato, blueberry, sweet corn)

Do I have to try everything out for 3 days FOREVER?! When can she just try new things like a normal person and not be tested anymore?

I haven't tried any meats on her, is she too young to start having meat?

Offline *Kara*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
Re: When can I stop "testing" out new foods?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 22:49:28 pm »
You can give meats from 6 months, but chicken is the most allergenic, so best to wait until 8-10 months for that one ;)

As for introducing things one at a time, no you don't have to wait.  But, I would.  Canada has lifted all restrictions with introducing things and waiting in between... but if LO does have a reaction to something, you have no clue what caused it! 

From personal experience, I would give a few days between new things just to be safe.

Remember that a "normal" person went through this intro process too ;)

Offline jay2yay

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2011, 00:08:54 am »
I was told that if there's no history of allergies in your family, that it should be fine to introduce new foods on consecutive days. Now, I wouldn't do this for like, several days in a row. But I've done it 2-3 days in a row on occasion and things are doing fine :)
Justine

Offline Lemonthyme

• Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2011, 16:24:49 pm »
"You can give meats from 6 months, but chicken is the most allergenic, so best to wait until 8-10 months for that one"

I think advice varies from country to country but we were told chicken is fine at 6 months and if anything it's important to introduce meat at this age due to the iron depletion.

I think the whole 3 day thing originates from when people used to start weaning at 3-4 months.  After 6 months I don't think I bothered tbh.  I used to introduce new foods at lunchtime and stick to something he'd had before in the evening.  I could say this was because I could then see if there was a reaction but if I'm honest it was because he used to be up loads for breastfeeds in the night so I was desperate to ensure he had a good tea!
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2011, 16:47:46 pm »
Canada doesn't warn us about the allergenic properties of chicken either... I found out the hard way.  After a bit of internet searching, I discovered that it is very likely to cause a reaction... beef and lamb are better as first foods with regards to iron.

Offline Lemonthyme

• Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2011, 19:03:55 pm »
Anything can cause an allergy though?
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline cuckoochick

• Showing Appreciation 136
  • Mummy to Charlotte Rose and Georgia May
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2011, 19:19:43 pm »
I stuck to the introducing new foods at lunchtime but as there are no histories of allergies in our family we were pretty relaxed and gave new things as and when. We ended up moving to BLW as DD was not so fussed with purees and became even more relaxed!! Chicken and fish were the first meats we introduced and then beef and lamb but as I say we've had no problems.

Good luck!

*Nicola*

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2011, 22:45:19 pm »
Anything can cause an allergy though?

Absolutely, but there are things that are much less likely to cause an allergic reaction.