Author Topic: can't get 7 month old to eat solids! -UPDATE  (Read 1733 times)

Offline FrenchWife

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
    • Eutopia Childrens Boutique
can't get 7 month old to eat solids! -UPDATE
« on: September 15, 2011, 14:03:15 pm »
please help, i can't get my 7 month old to eat solids, and i really think she needs more than just my milk. she has been nursing every hour, 2 or 3 hours around the clock, even less, because she has been sleeping really badly. i really need to get her into some healthy habits and a good routine. any suggestions welcome!
oh, she loves puffs, (and even sucking/chewing on a banana) but won't take more than a couple little licks of any baby fruit or cereal, etc.. i just need to get something substantial in her.  TIA!

Christine & Natalie Kate

UPDATE-  okay guys, so i am pretty confused. we found out dd had an ear infection so they gave her meds and it got better.  now she is fussy again, wont sleep at all and i still can't really get her to eat solids. she will take a nibble or two of apple sauce and thats pretty much the only puree she will take.
I am confused, because i think i may be having milk supply issues because she wants to nurse so often, but doesn't seem to get much. and then when i offer her food she acts hungry, but will only taste the purees, and thats all. but if i get my sandwich close she dives for it etc... she loves puffs, and banana slice quarters and will eat them endlessly. so i feel like she really is hungry.
should i just focus on finger foods? how do i know if my milk supply is low? should i attempt to cut her back to 4 milk feeds a day? cause i think she just takes that out on my nights... does anyone know of a place where i can find out how much/what percentage of solids she should be eating by what age? i saw that kelleymom.com recommended 25% by a year, but i think thats pretty extreeme. (implies delaying weaning till 2 years old). to be honest i really would like her to start heading in the weaning direction, because she has some pretty sever food intolerance's. i'm not in a huge hurry, but at this rate it seems like it will never happen!

also, anyone have any other young baby finer food suggestions? she really isn't that great at getting stuff down... Thanks!!!

Christine
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 16:44:55 pm by FrenchWife »
-Christine

Mom to Isaac & Natalie Kate
Wife to Jonathan

Offline *Kara*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
Re: can't get 7 month old to eat solids!
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 23:09:45 pm »
Hey Christine...  don't worry too much.  Getting solids into her isn't the goal at just under 7 months...

What is your schedule like now?  When do you BF and when do you offer solids?

Offline FrenchWife

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 23:56:46 pm »
its completely erratic, today she was really weird, she couldnlt stay awake for more than 30-an hour at a time. she was like a newborn. but i thought that she needed them mainly because i dont feel like my milk is filling her. anyways, i have been offering them after she breastfeeds, should i try them before? i dont really want it to take the place of BM.  thanks
-Christine

Wife to Jonathan

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2011, 03:55:48 am »
Nope, breast first, solids about an hour later.  Don't be too surprised if she only eats a tsp or so... it will increase as she is ready..

Sounds like she might be teething given all that extra napping ;)  And if so, that would explain the extra nursing demands (for comfort) and the solids reluctance.

Offline FrenchWife

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2011, 18:52:09 pm »
okay, so turns out that she has an ear infection also. yikes, poor thing can't catch a break. guess well just give it a rest for a bit...
-Christine

Wife to Jonathan

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2011, 23:00:39 pm »
Oh no :(  poor bubs!  That could be her issue with solids...