Author Topic: Sometimes I feel like jarred food would be better :(  (Read 10857 times)

Offline jay2yay

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 9
Re: Sometimes I feel like jarred food would be better :(
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2011, 03:26:21 am »
Yes I've got some of those pouches as well and love them for traveling. Too bad they're a bit more $.

Funny thing is DS hates mashed banana but will happily eat small chunks lol. Which I guess makes it easier for me!

Rebecca, that's a great idea about making food at the same time as dinner. Will have to incorporate that!
Srry I didn't quote anyone, I'm on my phone!
Justine

Offline Lemonthyme

• Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2011, 16:47:42 pm »
Yeah, definitely.  I didn't do baby led weaning but that's pretty much what it's about.  My son has eaten some pretty exotic things because he's had some things I'd make for myself as well as things made for him.  Also if you batch cook in large quantities it's really easy to have loads of options in the freezer.
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2011, 17:28:49 pm »
Just to let you know I emailed Hipp and they emailed back to say all their packaging including jars and lids are all  BPA free.

Offline SylvieA

• Showing Appreciation 27
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2011, 17:56:13 pm »
Have you ever heard of baby led weaning? It's a stress free way and no need to make anything especially for baby. They just eat what you eat. It was so easy and no worries. Here's the link http://www.babyledweaning.com/
Miguel-November 2005
Zoe-August 2008

Offline Lemonthyme

• Mamacook
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2011, 18:04:38 pm »
I think there is little need to cook specific 'baby food' whether you do BLW or traditional weaning.  Just keep an eye on salt and then go for it.  I did a mixture of making things especially for him and just giving him what we have.  It really dawned on me the day we went for pizza; he must have been 11 months, he was throwing his cheese sandwiches everywhere.  As soon as our pizza came, he was devouring what we gave him!  Basically a pizza ain't that dissimilar to a cheese sandwich but he enjoyed having something with more flavour! 

I often used to cook stews and bolognaise sauce, take some portions out for him then add the (salty) stock cube for us!  He has loads of freshly cooked herbs in his diet too.  It's all good!  Be adventurous!  I made him risi e bisi the other day and he loved it.
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline SylvieA

« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2011, 19:20:52 pm »
DD wouldn't eat anything "baby food" and who can blame her refusing bland mush LOL...but she would eat whatever we had. We did change our way of cooking a bit by reducing the amount of salt we use, which is healthier for all. Not one child is the same and some may not be ready for real food early. Example, DS was crazy for food at 6mo, you couldn't give him enough. DD didn't care for food until closer to 9mo, and now she'll try anything. I think it does help to let them feel the food before trying. They are curious creatures so why not let them explore. Their gag reflex is so strong that there's a small chances of chocking. Just as long as there are no family history of allergies, give them whatever they want, except for maybe raw veggies.
Miguel-November 2005
Zoe-August 2008

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2011, 19:57:20 pm »
We had much the same experience as SylvieA, dd1 loved everything straight away, dd2 took until nearly 8 months to stop refusing all foods and totally went the BLW route.  That child ate pretty much nothing pureed, just went straight to "real" food.

Offline jay2yay

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2011, 20:47:20 pm »
Thanks everyone :)

Shiv, that's great news! We don't have Hipp baby food here but wish we did!

Thanks for the link Sylvie :) I'll read into it more. I'm just surprised you can basically give them what we eat? Like...even stuff you cook with cooking spray, non salty spices, etc?  We cook pretty healthy (not a lot of butter, salt, etc) but I just didn't realize he could eat almost anything we did.

Justine

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2011, 21:28:30 pm »
I'm just surprised you can basically give them what we eat?

That's basically the idea.  You've most likely introduced enough foods that you know that's he's not allergic to anything.  Basically just use common sense in terms of things he might choke on, things that he wouldn't be able to handle just yet (raw tomatoes come to mind), super spicy foods, fried foods, etc. but you'd be surprised at what he can eat.  :)   The links on the FAQs are very helpful. 

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2011, 21:37:22 pm »
I'm just surprised you can basically give them what we eat?
Definately!

I got Annabel Karmel cookbooks when weaning DD1 and her recipes are very 'meal based' from 7 months on so DH and I ended up eating a lot of those too!  I do the same with DD2 now! 

Her website has some great meal recipes.  We all like the beef casserole one and DH loves the salmon one!

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2011, 23:33:59 pm »
Yes, yes, yes to Annabel Karmel, I LOVE her recipes.  :)

Offline Lemonthyme

• Mamacook
« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2011, 06:03:20 am »
More and more now my son's a toddler I'm cooking him things for both of us.  He's had smoked paprika, cumin, mild curry pastes etc from about 8 months.  I just figured he didn't reject breastmilk when I'd had a curry so he'd probably be used to it.  At his first birthday party, my sister had made some porcetta which was stuffed with garlic, fennel, parsley etc and was amazed when it was his favourite thing.  I think in the UK anyway, the drive is to get them onto family foods asap whether you chose BLW or the traditional route and you probably find traditional weaners (like us) got onto exclusive finger feeding at an earlier age.

Offline jay2yay

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2011, 15:47:29 pm »
OK, after some reading I'm going to give DS a BLW lesson today :) :) Since I'm so excited, I'm sure he's going to hate the experience.

I should probably post this question on another thread, but I'm wondering since he's used to eating so much pureed food, do I do a combo of puree and BLW to start?
Justine

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2011, 16:00:07 pm »
I'd do both.  He'll probably just play with it at first anyway. :)
LOL about him hating it! :)

Offline SylvieA

« Reply #44 on: September 28, 2011, 18:38:31 pm »
He may not eat much at first which is fine, but it's fun to watch them figure it out. For purees, can you give him the spoon to play with it. I usually gave the kids a spoon whenever I gave them yogurt or apple sauce, or anything saucy. But do it in small amounts to avoid huge a mess LOL...you'd be surprised to see how much more they will eat if they are in control. It worked really well for us :)
Miguel-November 2005
Zoe-August 2008