Author Topic: Sometimes I feel like jarred food would be better :(  (Read 10855 times)

Offline jay2yay

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 9
Re: Sometimes I feel like jarred food would be better :(
« Reply #45 on: September 28, 2011, 18:55:54 pm »
I am SO proud of my Isaac!!!! He ate almost an entire pear, probably 1/4 a large banana, and some of the pork we had for dinner last night!! I didn't even give him any puree. Some of the choking made me a bit nervous, lol, but he figured it out! DH was more nervous than me....I don't think I'll have any luck letting DH supervise BLW. Of course I'm wondering if he ate enough food but I'm not letting myself worry about it!
Justine

tigerlilly905

« Reply #46 on: September 28, 2011, 18:58:25 pm »
WOOHOOO!!! :D Great news Justine! :) I wish there were a "like" button on here! ;)

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #47 on: September 28, 2011, 19:09:10 pm »
That's so great!!!  I would say that he likely ate more with the BLW than he did with the purees!  Like the others have mentioned, one of the jars of fruit is only about 50 cals, so really only about half of an average apple/pear...

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #48 on: September 28, 2011, 20:14:48 pm »
Solids are just for practice anyway at this age.  As long as he had fun, I'd call it a success!!

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #49 on: September 28, 2011, 20:23:05 pm »
YAY!!!  What a clever boy!!! 

Offline Lemonthyme

• Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
« Reply #50 on: September 29, 2011, 07:10:35 am »
Yay!  Also remember that gagging is not choking.  They have a really sensitive gag reflex when they're little and they need to learn.  Choking is silent (or nearly silent) which is why you must, must, must stay with them all the time when they're eating.

I did read somewhere that when they move onto finger foods whether you're doing BLW or traditional weaning, they do eat less because there's less bulking out with water.  What he ate though sounds like huge amounts!
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline jay2yay

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #51 on: September 29, 2011, 14:39:40 pm »
Thanks everyone! This is so exciting. You're right lemonthyme, it was definitely gagging not choking. Gosh, that same mom is still on my case and actually asked me to 'reconsider!' Said she knew of a mom who's baby died from a large apple chunk.

Why in the world do some mom's find it their responsibility to parent other children? Don't I love my 7 month old enough to OBVIOUSLY take all the precautions I can so that he doesn't choke?? It's like an insult. I finally got firm with her and think she'll leave me alone now  ::)
Justine

Offline jay2yay

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #52 on: September 29, 2011, 14:40:57 pm »
woops, lol. you guys have no idea what I'm talking about do you?  :D :D :D I just realized I was talking about that lady on the BLW support thread, not this one. Sorry!!
Justine

Offline SylvieA

• Showing Appreciation 27
« Reply #53 on: September 29, 2011, 17:25:29 pm »
As for apples or things like that, of course they can chock if given in the right size, but if seated and not running, they normally gag it out before it gets to choking. I gave the apple either grated, thin slices or whole, but whole wasted a lot and  only gave whole when they had at least one tooth to dig into it. Now I'm curious about that support thread LOL
Miguel-November 2005
Zoe-August 2008

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #54 on: September 29, 2011, 18:23:27 pm »
LOL!  I'm curious now too :) 

I am so happy to hear that he is doing so well with the BLW!  Funny how our LO's know what they want and stick to their guns until we clue in ;)

Offline jay2yay

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #55 on: September 29, 2011, 18:50:41 pm »
Just an acquaintance that freaked out when she saw my video of Isaac eating pork on Facebook. At first she tried to be polite saying I should make his pieces smaller. Then after I responded, she came back saying she knew of a woman who's baby died choking on an apple chunk. "I'd hate that to be your baby!" type thing.  ::) I said maybe we could talk privately about the possible death of my son  :P  Luckily, a more experience mom came by and backed me up by talking about how positive of an experience it was with her two boys :)
Justine

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #56 on: September 30, 2011, 09:53:22 am »
People love their opinions!  Although apple is one thing I am wary of!  Anything that can come off in a choking size piece is obviously a risk.  So I slice apple like pp say and halve grapes etc.

Offline Lemonthyme

• Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
« Reply #57 on: September 30, 2011, 17:31:39 pm »
Yeah, apple is the only thing my son has ever properly choked on but any age kid (or adult) can choke.  Long before we started weaning, I did a first aid course for babies and children and I'm so glad I did.  I knew what to do and although I didn't do it perfectly when I checked later, I did it well enough to clear the blockage.

Babies can choke on purees too.  You just need to be prepared.  Oh and the apple was sliced!  I do halve grapes though, this first aid course said grapes were the most common thing to choke on.  I also didn't give them to him till he was nearly a year old.  I think the apple thing freaked me out!
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #58 on: September 30, 2011, 17:50:38 pm »
I think some of the gagging is child dependent too.  We did more purees with dd1 and she gagged and choked all the time!  Dd2 went largely the BLW route and she never choked on anything. 

OT, Justine, I love that new avatar.  Isaac is such a cutie!

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #59 on: September 30, 2011, 17:57:56 pm »
Gagging is totally possible with anything... my DD is fine with chewing things like small pieces of fruit, cereal etc... and fine with smooth purees... but a chunky puree causes her to gag every time!