Author Topic: New into solids... new schedule?  (Read 3943 times)

Offline *Kara*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
Re: New into solids... new schedule?
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2011, 18:43:01 pm »
No need to burp after solids :)  I never did a DF, but yes, I would assume that the amount she takes will come down since she is getting those calories from the new solids. 

As for lumps, you can try whenever you like, but many LO's won't take a lumpy puree at all - mine won't.  She will happily eat a puree of almost anything and will eat finger foods that need to be chewed, but gags the second I try to give her a puree with lumps :)

Offline gooders30

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2011, 13:33:52 pm »
thanks Kara. 
We are going to start introducing some veg next week so that LO doesnt just get a taste for sweet things. 

How about introducing gluten? i would quite like to start LO on some porridge for breakfast.  Also some toast although i am worried about her choking on crumbs?

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2011, 17:40:30 pm »
What country do you live in Gooders30?  Depending on where you are, there are a few options.  Don't worry too much about the sweet tooth thing... all babies have a sweet tooth ;)  If veg doesn't go over well, try combining with a fruit like pears to sweeten it a little bit... you can always slowly reduce the sweet fruit to get baby used to straight veg.  You might be lucky like me though - mine actually preferred veg to fruit!  Now she is much like a baby goat - she will eat almost anything ;)

Offline gooders30

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2011, 13:39:18 pm »
i live in the UK but am in the US at the moment.  I know there is differing opinions about when to introduce wheat and eggs so just wondering what others did? i would like to start my LO on some porridge maybe in the next few weeks. 
Going to start some veggies this week...... :D

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2011, 18:06:09 pm »
You can buy baby specific cereals in the USA... Gerber makes them... I personally would avoid wheat until closer to a year (from recent experience!).. but barley, oats are fine now.  Avoid egg white until a year as it can be quite allergenic, but yolk is fine from 6 months - well cooked.

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2011, 17:54:13 pm »
Olly had a milk allergy and so we waited to give wheat and eggs - and he had a reaction to both.

I think as long as you don't have any family history of allergies you can give these foods after 6 months old but do it one at a time in case a reaction is provoked.

Offline b0nni3

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2011, 16:24:25 pm »
i gave DS egg at around 8 months - he would only eat it scrambled, and wouldn't eat it any other way.
Funny how we forget these things as my DD has just started solids and I can't for the life of me remember what we did with DS! :P

my DD is 6.5 months and she gets solids 2x /day, at lunch and at dinner, and since she started solids she dropped her night feed, hurrah! If it helps, our routine looks like this. I work 4 mornings a week so my mum watches her during that time and gives her solids before I pick DS up from kindergarten and we're home for lunch.

I think you don't have to worry so much about the exact times/amounts for solids. If you go by the principles of 1) Ensuring LO is taking the plenty of milk, and 2) introducing foods slowly (to watch out for allergic reactions), you will do fine. The goal is to move TOWARDS 3 meals + 2 snacks per day, but each LO is different and they move toward that at different rates. There's no right/wrong way to do it - just what works for you and your family!

7:30am wake + BF
9-ish nap for 1-1.5 hours
11am solids (about 3 tbsp of cereal plus 1 tsp of veg, though she always seems to want more!)
12:30pm BF
1pm nap for 1.5-2 hrs
4pm BF
Sometimes still a catnap around 5pm for 30 mins
6pm dinner with her big brother (3 tbsp cereal plus 2 tsp veg)
8:15pm BF + bed

Yes she's still doing 3 naps but I've been going with cues and it seems to work fine with her bedtime, so I'm not messing with it!
Mama to T (Oct '08) and J (Mar '11)!