Author Topic: Starting solids... meats? veggies? fruits? Which one first??  (Read 1913 times)

Offline MommyIsa

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Starting solids... meats? veggies? fruits? Which one first??
« on: September 19, 2011, 00:40:05 am »
Hi mommies!
I am so excited!! Got our Baby Bullet and ready to start solids in a few days! :)
I have been reading a lot and am a little confused as to which food to start with...
Where I live (NB, Canada), public health suggests to start with cereals for the first few weeks, followed by meats first (iron). But I have been reading in many books and online and it seems that many parents still start with vegetables or fruits.
What do you suggest? I was thinking of alternating every 4-5 days (meat-veggie-fruit). Would such a meal plan be too confusing for our baby boy? Should I stick to only one food category?

Offline flutie

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 10
Re: Starting solids... meats? veggies? fruits? Which one first??
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 02:02:53 am »
We started with pears and then added new foods very slowly (i think avacado, then cereal).
Lisa
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Offline ~Sara~

• Showing Appreciation 264
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 03:25:17 am »
We started with pears here, too.  DS LOVED them!!  Then we gradually added in all sorts of stuff like sweet potatoes, squash, apples, banana.

I don't think you need to be concerned with LO getting enough iron.  That comes through breastmilk and formulas are fortified with it...LO is probably getting enough.  Once they hit about a year old (when solids start becoming the main source of nutrition and not milk), you might need to think more about the iron amounts.  But, I wouldn't right now.  Milk is still the main source of nutrition and solids--at his point--are more for fun (experimenting with tastes and textures and getting the overall hang of things).

I also don't think switching food groups around will confuse him, per se.  But, it might be nice to have some consistency for a couple of days so that he can get used to that particular taste/flavor.

HTH a bit!!  Above all, have fun (both of you) ;)
*formerly tersaseda*

Offline Lemonthyme

• Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 06:46:41 am »
I started with baby rice (he hated it) then tried pureed sweet potatoes, carrots, pumpkin, parsnips and apple mixed with some baby rice to thicken.  His nose did go a little orange though!
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline MommyIsa

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 01:30:27 am »
Thanks so much for all your tips and suggestions!! :0)

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2011, 03:36:45 am »
Where I live (NB, Canada), public health suggests to start with cereals for the first few weeks, followed by meats first (iron). But I have been reading in many books and online and it seems that many parents still start with vegetables or fruits.

The only reason that Canada (I'm in BC) changed to suggesting meats first is because of the iron issue for BF babies... there is much controversy over the whole iron in cereals not being easily absorbed anyways, versus the small amount in breastmilk that is very easily absorbed... of course, if you LO is formula fed, iron is not a worry for you at all :)

I started with cereal just to give her the chance to have something in her mouth that was nice and bland... that lasted about a week and we started with fruits/veggies.  I still have very limited intro of meats at 10 months...

Offline Lemonthyme

• Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2011, 17:59:56 pm »
My son was on meat and fish not long after 6 months and he had no issues but then as he was breastfed till 13 months, I was concerned he got enough iron.  I found all the negative publicity about BF and iron a bit irritating though as for certain I was doing the best for my son by BF him.  Still, he took to meat no issue.

Generally I cooked it with vegetables (lots of stews) and pureed them together as then you get a smoother puree.
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2011, 18:31:54 pm »
enerally I cooked it with vegetables (lots of stews) and pureed them together as then you get a smoother puree

Great idea!  I tried just plain chicken - didn't go over well at all ;)  And man alive did it look nasty!

Offline ~Sara~

• Showing Appreciation 264
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2011, 20:11:22 pm »
I tried just plain chicken - didn't go over well at all Wink  And man alive did it look nasty!
BTDT, too.  That's when we did more BLW and just let DS have the flavors we were.
*formerly tersaseda*