Author Topic: Is 7 month too early for 3 bottles?  (Read 2444 times)

Offline maka

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« on: September 19, 2011, 20:25:49 pm »
My DS is 7 months and one week. He was never a good bottle feeder due to his silent reflux. We've been through in sleep/half sleep/drowsy feeds before but now when he seem to be getting better with feeds he started to completely refuse 11am bottle or if he takes 11am bottle he refuses 4pm bottle. I'm afraid that he will develop bottle aversion again if we continue pushing him with the feeds. He is only 3 solid meals per day but I'm trying to limit it to make sure that it will not interfere with his bottle feeds. He usually takes 6oz in the morning then around 6oz during either 11am or 3 pm (depending on which one he will refuse and other one will be 2-3oz or nothing at all) and 7:30 feed 6 or 7oz. We have eliminated DF and NF to see if we increase his day intake. I know he is suppose to be getting at least 24oz but I just feel like I'm torturing him with these bottle feeds. He is so much more happier when he is spoon fed. I don't know what to do, should I try to switch to 3 bottles and see if he starts taking more at each feed or is it too early? He is gaining weight and very active baby, trying to crawl and even stand already. Thanks as usual for your input.

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: Is 7 month too early for 3 bottles?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 15:22:06 pm »
He is rather young to drop to 3 bottles, I would keep him on 4 for another month or so, he could pick his intake back up a bit. Don't force him to drink but keep offering at your usual times.

Laura

Offline maka

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 19:23:41 pm »
Thanks Laura. We are trying but he really doesn't want to have any of it. His morning and evening bottles are ok but the mid day are horrible. I really think it's connected with flair up of his reflux symptoms :-( I will continue offering it but it's tough, I sometimes feel like I'm torturing him and I only trying to feed him.

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 22:48:22 pm »
I am gonna go against Laura on this one and suggest that you give it a try.  Sorry Laura ;)

I do have a good friend whose LO dropped to 3 bottles at 6 months and her paed was fine with it... babies milk intake actually did increase slightly.  My DD was the same and dropped to 3 bottles at 8 months.

I would offer 8 ozs each feed and do one at wake, one before PM nap, and one at BT.  You may have to move lunch to an earlier time since there will no longer be a bottle in there...

Give it a few days to a week to iron out kinks and baby will settle into the new routine.

Offline maka

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2011, 16:57:58 pm »
Thanks guys. we are still on 4 bottles. DS got sick and the whole routine got screwed up and now we are slowly getting back on track. He never takes 8oz, and i really mean it, never. Usually his biggest bottle is the BT and he takes 7oz at best. I will slowly be moving to 3 bottles soon. I guess since we'll be eliminating his 11am bottle he'll have lunch at around 11:30 and then bottle at 2pm when he goes down for his pm nap. I hope his intake will increase at least a bit at each feed. His average intake now is between 20 and 22oz per day and he is on 3 solids per day (nothing too big just yogurt, oatmeal/rice cereal and some fruits).

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2011, 17:54:15 pm »
How much does he get in terms of solids? 

No veggies?  Much better nutritionally than fruit is...  The yogurt counts towards his milk intake ;)

Offline maka

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2011, 18:02:11 pm »
Breakfast usually yogurt (4oz); lunch is usually some veggie or meat with veggie (2oz or less) and fruit (2oz) (usually prune bc of some constipation issues). The dinner is usually oatmeal cereal 4 spoons mixed with apple sauce and water. If he refuses his 11am bottle we mix 4 spoons of rice cereal with formula (4 oz or so) and then give only fruit. He doesn't have any teeth yet otherwise he seem to be ready for some finger food constantly trying to snatch it out of my hands :-) 

Offline Lolly

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2011, 18:08:42 pm »
He can have finger foods - both mine had finger foods from the start at 6 months with no teeth (or two tiny bottom front teeth which are really not much use for chewing!). We gave sticks of foods that they could hold in their hands and things like toast, pasta, broccoli florettes etc. One of DD's first finger foods was a pizza crust she stole off Daddy's plate when he wasn't looking ;)

Laura

Offline maka

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2011, 18:12:45 pm »
I know they can have finger foods with no teeth it's just my hubby is freaking out about choking. With DS1 we tried safe feeder with some fruits and veggies. I actually bought some teether crackers but still hesitant to give it. I'll try to introduce it this week. Question, how do you make sure they don't bite a big piece, i know they are capable even if no teeth.

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2011, 18:18:33 pm »
You really can't stop them... just know that baby will most certainly gag, but likely will not choke.. they have a very strong gag reflex...   Do you know what to do it baby does choke??

Re: constipation - if baby is getting backed up, cut the rice cereal and the applesauce - both are very binding... oat cereal or pear sauce are better... also, large amounts of yogurt (4 ozs is a very large amount for baby's age) can cause constipation.

Offline Lolly

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2011, 18:20:18 pm »
They do take big bites, but that's part of the learning process, it's what they need to do so they know how to protect their airway and not choke. They will gag, but gagging is good and not the same as choking! You could start with steamed veg fingers rather than hard crackers, things that can mush fairly easily with their gums.

Laura

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2011, 18:22:36 pm »
Sweet potato fingers went great here and they only take about 20 mins in the oven ;)

Offline maka

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2011, 18:35:17 pm »
Kara, he eats baby yogurt which recommended from 6 months and he really seem to enjoy it. I never actually push and he usually finishes the whole thing. BTW, could you pass along sweet potato fingers recipe. Thanks. Lolly, crackers are like baby teether they melt right away in babies mouth. As for choking, I think I know what to do but in my hubby's mind gagging equals chocking.

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2011, 18:40:51 pm »
I use baby yogurt too, but in general, yogurt is constipating in large amounts... 4 ozs is a serving size for a 2 year old ;)

Dad's don't do well with feeding baby when it's something new... My DH is still a nervous mess when I give DD pieces of bananas and other soft things ;)  That said, I still forget to take a breath when DD gags a bit!  My mom told me that it never gets easier ;)  You will always worry about choking!

I just cut a yam up (the orange ones) into small fingers and toss with a bit of olive oil and then bake at 350 F for about 20 mins (I bite them to see if they are soft).  Quite yummy and good for mom too :)

Offline maka

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2011, 18:44:52 pm »
Sounds good. DS loves sweet potato pure so I think he would love the sp fingers. I guess I'll buy again a safe feeder and start with that as well. This way my DH will be more comfortable. As for yogurt, since he was never a good formula drinker and he really loves the yogurt I'll continue giving it to him. I just didn't know that it's too big of a portion for him, but if he finishes it after the bottle, we a good. Thanks