Author Topic: need help with a dilemma  (Read 845 times)

Offline *Jo*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 148
  • 3 wee monkeys and a Mamma
« on: September 20, 2011, 07:13:59 am »
Levi has been having awful wind issues as I have posted about previously, it keeps him up at night and makes night feeds a nightmare. we use Dr Browns bottles and I never had this issue with Caleb using them. Levi is on the number 2 teat which is for age 3-6months, I put him on this as he was taking an hour to feed on the level 1 teats which is for newborn to 3 months.
However.... on teh number one teats he doesnt gulp air, the wind isnt so drastic. so basically number 1 teat is too slow (he ends up falling asleep or taking 40mins just to take in 60mls, he never finishes a bottle on the number 1 teat!) and the number 2 teat is too fast (gulping air and getting huge amounts of wind in, resulting in us being up all night, however he finishes his bottle in about 10mins)

Ive tried putting extra holes in the number 1 teat and it makes no difference, he takes an hour to feed, compared to 10mins with the other teat (thats a huge difference!)

So what do I do? either way theres a loss, if I go with number 1 he doesnt get all his milk and will probably be up in the night for more food. if i go with number 2 then he gets all that wind and we are up all night trying to bring it up or push it out.

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: need help with a dilemma
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 15:19:42 pm »
I'm really not sure Jo - neither option sounds like a better one :-\. I wonder if a different type of bottle altogether would suit him better?

Laura

Offline ~Emma~

• Showing Appreciation 221
  • And then there were 2.....
Re: need help with a dilemma
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 16:17:36 pm »
How long have you been using the number 2 teats? I have found that with mine they take a good week or so to get used to the new flow and after a while they can control it better and take in less air. Just a thought.  :)

Offline *Jo*

• Showing Appreciation 148
  • 3 wee monkeys and a Mamma
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 16:31:52 pm »
I've tried other bottles, avent, Nuk, tommee tippee and the same if not worse. Well maybe I'm wrong now cos I've been using the number one teats all night and he's been gulping air with those two.... I'm so over it, I just know that if it weren't for wind we would be sleeping alot better :(