Author Topic: Not a fan of eggs. Suggestions?  (Read 2270 times)

Offline Texomamama

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 15
Not a fan of eggs. Suggestions?
« on: September 22, 2011, 14:38:57 pm »
I have tried scrambled eggs with my 12.5 mo a few times.  She will eat a few bites, then start spitting them out and refusing them.  I am pretty sure it is a texture thing.

Anyone else have a LO who does not like eggs?  I am not one of those people who believe in trying a food dozens of times before they accept it.  After 3-4 attempts, if it fails, I shelve the food for weeks or months and then try again.  But, eggs are so full of good things; I was really counting on them to be a ‘go to’ food, kwim?

Any suggestions?  I have tried French Toast/Eggy bread and she can take it or leave it.  Thought about hard boiled, but I am not sure how that would go over either.

Offline ~Sara~

• Showing Appreciation 264
Re: Not a fan of eggs. Suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2011, 14:42:38 pm »
My DS still doesn't like eggs unless they're in a ham/egg/cheese kolache ::)

He will eat things with eggs cooked into them (like french toast or baked goods).  I'm not a pusher either, and will reintroduce foods after a little while.

Have you tried putting anything on the scrambled eggs, like some cheese?
*formerly tersaseda*

Offline <Catherine>

• Showing Appreciation 149
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2011, 14:57:33 pm »
My DS wouldnt touch eggs either, until a few months ago. He saw my friend's DS having a boiled egg so had some too, but still wouldnt eat scrambled egg (texture thing with him too) and he wasn't overly keen on eating the boiled egg. He's better with a cold hard boiled egg, than a dippy egg with soldiers.

He was then at his friend's grandma's house, about 6 weeks ago, who keeps chickens and he actually picked up a freshly laid egg, took it home, and helped me make him scrambled egg on toast with it. The whole thing amazed him - it was HIS egg, that HE got, and HE cooked. And he ate the lot! Loves it now!
Catherine x

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2011, 15:08:51 pm »
My DD loves scrambled egg dipped in ketchup - does your DD like to dip?

DS will NOT eat eggs scrambled, boiled, etc. He used to until about 15 months old and hasn't since. He does have homemade extra eggy challah french toast at least once a week and I add extra eggs when I make pancake batter, etc but still hoping to find ways to make a scrambled egg or omelet or the like work. And I keep meaning to try frittatas!
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline ~Sara~

• Showing Appreciation 264
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2011, 15:11:45 pm »
My DD loves scrambled egg dipped in ketchup
Yeah, ditto to that! ::)

I remembered that he does like some breakfast casseroles (so eggs mixed in with bread, cheese, etc.) and he'll do okay eating that with some ketchup on top, too.
*formerly tersaseda*

Offline Sam-n-Max's Mommy

• Showing Appreciation 29
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2011, 15:29:55 pm »
Hi Texomamama,

My DS happens to like eggs (one of his few likes), but I will also second the idea of trying cheese in them.  My other idea is that when it comes to french toast, can you try to mix something like bananas and a pinch of brown sugar and cinnamon or pumpkin puree or something like that to the batter? That may make it a bit sweeter and entice her to eat it.  Just a thought.

By the way - you should also try the hard boiled egg -- maybe the texture would be better for her.  My DS used to eat egg yolk, but then when I introduced scrambled, he won't eat them boiled anymore ::).  So it's probably worth a try, maybe she'll be the opposite and like boiled, but not scrambled.
--Nicole
(formerly samsmommy3312010)

Offline Mama2C

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2011, 17:11:25 pm »
DS has NEVER liked eggs which is annoying as he doesn't like meat either! So I have to turn to dairy products for protein and give an iron supplement...sigh! I tried everything and finally just had to accept that he won't eat them in ANY form. (DD on the other hand LOVES eggs). I offer him eggs whenever we have them but he still won't have any! I have just had to accept it..
Mom of 2!! - DD: Dec 31, 2006 & DS: March 6, 2010

Offline Intransit

• Showing Appreciation 31
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2011, 20:54:35 pm »
DD likes eggs once in a while...depending how they are cooked. She prefers boiled....and mostly eats the whites. She sometimes eats fried.....bur mostly the whites. I find it varies day to day!
*Sarah*
Neve treat others as you yourself would not like to be treated.

Offline MadisonC

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • my loves xo
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2011, 01:55:57 am »
DS doesn't like scrambled eggs either. I don't make them for him anymore because it is just a waste.  Whenever I have scrambled eggs I always give him a bit hoping that he would finally love them but he makes such a disgusted face.. like I'm feeding him poison or something!

Offline Texomamama

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2011, 12:36:53 pm »
Thanks ladies!  I think I will hard boil a few and see how that goes over.  If she passes, I will just try again in a month or so.

DD1 would not eat them until she was about 2 years old.  She "helped" me make them once, and decided she loved them, eating them almost daily for about a month.  Then it stopped and now anytime I suggest them, she tells me in a sassy voice "Um, Mom, I don't like eggs, and I have never eaten them" ::)

Offline Lemonthyme

• Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2011, 22:10:01 pm »
Well remember that eggs are in things like pancakes and other baked goods and pancakes don't have to be unhealthy, here's a couple of recipes:
http://mamacook.blogspot.com/2011/08/potato-pancakes.html
http://mamacook.blogspot.com/2011/03/pancakes-and-toys-returned-to-pram.html

Here's a couple of savoury muffin recipes too:
http://mamacook.blogspot.com/2011/09/cheese-and-onion-muffins-for-babies-and.html
http://mamacook.blogspot.com/2011/05/spinach-and-feta-mini-muffins.html

Also my son has his phases on liking eggs and not liking them.  Actually until I typed that I'd forgotten I didn't really like eggs as a child yet I love a poached egg on toast nowadays.  Anyway, this recipe has been a winner in the past and you could change what you put in.
http://mamacook.blogspot.com/2011/05/quiche-frittata-and-small-things.html

Also, left of field idea, what about egg fried rice?  Again, needn't be unhealthy:
http://mamacook.blogspot.com/2011/09/egg-fried-rice-for-toddlers.html
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline babyrose

• Showing Appreciation 4
  • My two beautiful strong boys
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2011, 14:01:35 pm »
A doesnt like the texture of eggs. he will eat omlette if its got cheese in it.

Offline koe2moe

• Showing Appreciation 250
  • Battle on the chess board
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2011, 14:18:56 pm »
DS hates scrambled or omelette.  He used to eat a few bites of hard boiled eggs and recently not.  You can even put hard boiled egg yolk and mash it into stew or pasta.  DS doesn't even like French toast.  He used to eat quiche but I haven't tried this year, I doubt if he would. 

Offline julesdq

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • My gorgeous little girl
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2011, 19:35:48 pm »
My DD isn't keen on scrambled eggs either but she loves an egg dish I make:

beat 2 eggs
add some cream(quite a bit), grated cheddar, onion, mushrooms, herbs and put it in the oven 180 deg for 15 mins and 150 deg for 30 mins

i've also put in spinach, feta, ham etc as well

Offline Texomamama

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2011, 19:58:43 pm »
hey ladies,

haven't looked at this in a while, thanks for all the great suggestions.  Sounds like a few of us have this challenge with eggs :)